MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Submission, plus links to write your own review.

The Submission

Mar 2012, 336 pages

Jennifer Dawson Oakes

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The Submission

jane

Well written but biased in her viewpoint in many subtle ways
The book was well written but skewed to make Muslims and Islam the only real victims. There are subtle innuendos that seem biased against others, especially Christians, in that most were depicted as insensitive and unknowledgeable. I could not help but think of 2 young fathers of Italian American heritage that died leaving 8 children between them. Their families' strength has come from their faith and not hatred. I would have liked a more equal accounting of all the viewpoints of those involved. All three Abrahamic religions mentioned in the book believe in one God.
avid

Didn't feel real
This was a well-written book that I want to give 5 stars to. Something about it just didn't work for me, though. I have a sense that the outrage over the selection of a Muslim to design a 9/11 memorial just would not play out the way it is depicted in this novel. I got the feeling throughout my reading that it didn't feel real. Worth reading to examine your own opinions on the matter, though.
Diane S.

The Submission by Amy Waldman
I recently saw the movie The Help and just finished reading The Dry Grass of August and was feeling very relieved that the 50's and the KKK were over. Than I read this book and realized that fear and hatred is never over. It just changes focus. A jury is picked to vote on anonymous entries for a 9/11 monument, a winner is chosen but before it is announced it is discovered that the architect is a Muslim. This well written book portrays a society that is not willing to let go of the hatred and controversy that having the first name of Mohammed entails.

• Book Jacket: Between Two Fires
    Between Two Fires
    by Joshua Yaffa
    It was thought by many that the fall of the Soviet Union would transform Russia from a totalitarian ...
  • Book Jacket: This Is Happiness
    This Is Happiness
    by Niall Williams
    Niall Williams's This Is Happiness offers an extraordinary portrait of a particular moment in the ...
  • Book Jacket: In the Dream House
    In the Dream House
    by Carmen Maria Machado
    In the introduction to In the Dream House, Carmen Maria Machado (a National Book Award finalist for ...
  • Book Jacket: Father of Lions
    Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan
    Our readers have given high marks to Father of Lions by Louise Callaghan. Out of 21 reviewers, 18 ...

Small Days and Nights
    by Tishani Doshi

A captivating and clear-eyed story of two sisters, set against the backdrop of modern India.

American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins

A new American classic, and the first book to ever score a perfect 5-stars in BookBrowse's early reader program!

The Lost Man
by Jane Harper

"Strong characters, riveting plot and an honest look at life in the Australian outback make it easy to give this 5-stars!"
—BookBrowse

Win The Adventurer's Son

Publishing Soon!
The Adventurer's Son

"A brave and marvelous book. A page-turner that will rip your heart out."
--Jon Krakauer