What readers think of The Language of Flowers, plus links to write your own review.

The Language of Flowers

by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh X
The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

Aug 2011, 336 pages

Apr 2012, 352 pages

There are currently 34 reader reviews for The Language of Flowers

Tucker's Mom (Pasadena, CA)

What flower signifies dysfunction?
The storyteller is the product of a failed foster-care system who uses her gifts with flowers to communicate and succeed in life. I think the most interesting facet of this novel was the floral education, trips to the flower mart, wedding planning interviews with bridezillas. But I really didn't like Victoria. She strikes out at life and people and can't ever seem to allow herself to open to others to receive help or love. Her pattern of chronic self-destruction grows tiresome and the isolation situation which lead to her medical crisis was just painful. It was a bit difficult to get into the book, but read fast after that. I wouldn't want to see the movie.
Suzanne G. (Tucson, AZ)

A rather interesting story
You need to know...I love gardening and flowers. But when a relationship depends on what a given flower portrays, and after a while reading that over and over, I eventually became annoyed. Are there really people who live their lives around such? I liked the character Victoria. She was self-sufficient and lived accordingly--making a garden in a public park? That I question. And then having so many clients when beginning her business--OKaaay--another question. The birth and care of her baby--well, I won't even go there! I liked the way the author informed us of foster care. I learned something. All-in-all, this was a fairly interesting book, and I can understand that sometimes a fiction book actually may not be life-like.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    The World Keeps Ending, and the World Goes On
    by Franny Choi
    Calamity can cohabit with joy, and you and I have, on some plane, accepted that absurd reality. We ...
  • Book Jacket: Bloodbath Nation
    Bloodbath Nation
    by Paul Auster
    In recent years, Booker Prize­–nominated novelist Paul Auster has increasingly turned to ...
  • Book Jacket: The Nazi Conspiracy
    The Nazi Conspiracy
    by Brad Meltzer, Josh Mensch
    The Nazi Conspiracy by Brad Meltzer and Josh Mensch was a big hit with our First Impressions readers...
    Yonder
    by Jabari Asim
    The captivating historical novel Yonder turns an intimate lens towards the tragedy and survivorship ...

The Love of My Life
by Rosie Walsh
An up-all-night love story wrapped in a mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Ghosted.

Members Recommend

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

River Sing Me Home
    by Eleanor Shearer

A remarkable debut about a mother's gripping journey across the Caribbean to find her stolen children in the aftermath of slavery.

It's A G T Me

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.