Reader reviews and comments on The Memory Palace, plus links to write your own review.

The Memory Palace

Elena Spagnolie

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Memory Palace

Jes (01/03/14)

Rambling with Good Moments
The book and its story line is good. There are very concise moments that really show case mental illness or TBI's. The book however rambles on which takes away from what is being shared (IMO) however attest that to the authors own head injury. If the book were more on point I would likely thoroughly enjoy it. As it is, I find myself thumbing through page after page of random memories that really don't speak the main story line.
Power Reviewer Louise Jolly (02/28/11)

Such Sadness
Mira and her sister Natalia, grow up under the veil of their mother’s madness. Norma was a schizophrenic often given to crazy outbursts, physical attacks on the girls, strings of verbal vulgarity, and generally making a nuisance of herself. Norma showed up at their workplaces, wrote them crazy letters, purchased a gun, cut Mira’s throat with a broken bottle and made life hell for these two girls.

Finally, both girls were forced to move away and not tell Norma where they were, it was the only way they could live their lives in peace. Years later, after learning that Norma is dying, Mira and Natalia come home and must sift through the feelings they each held against their mother.

This was a riveting, spellbinding, and deeply entrancing read. Mira Bartok’s The Memory Palace is a lesson for us all in the sadness and extremely difficult lives people live when a family member is struck with a mental illness. Throughout the book I found some humour but I also found a lot of misery and melancholy. This is a book everyone should read.

Schizophrenia

Discover your next great read here

Ghachar Ghochar
    by Vivek Shanbhag
    The Bengaluru (aka Bangalore) that has dominated economic news headlines over the past decade is the...
  • Book Jacket: Caught in the Revolution

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best

O My D B