MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Raising Wrecker, plus links to write your own review.

Raising Wrecker

by Summer Wood

Raising Wrecker

Feb 2011, 304 pages
    Sep 2012, 304 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for Raising Wrecker

avid (03/13/11)

a different kind of love story
The title evokes images of destruction and abandon, but the story is about repair and acceptance and comfort and wholeness. The intelligence and warmth and depth of this book were a pleasant surprise. I have no reservations in recommending it.
Louise J. (03/12/11)

Amazing Story!
I absolutely loved this book!! Wrecker is the story of a little three-year-old boy who was abandoned by his mother after she was put in jail with a 30 year sentence. He was raised by three very different women: Melody, Ruth and Willow. Melody was his “mother” and the other two were helpful in supporting her but they often clashed on certain issues when it came to Wrecker.

Motherhood is a loosely used term here as it was such a different environment that Wrecker was raised in, a very unique family. The novel will pull at your heartstrings and keep you reading through the night.
Veronica Golos (03/08/11)

A work of love and words.
This book will get under your skin, just as the boy character, Wrecker, gets under the skin of his adoptive family of eccentrics. But it is in the beautiful language, the beat and rhythm of the sentences, the pull of the plot that Wood really brings us to all the revelations about love and loving. read it.
Barb Johnson (02/07/11)

I've Been Wreckered
Summer Wood has a keen eye for place, and for the ordinary moments in life that become extraordinary in memory. Here, she aims that astute eye on a ragtag group living on the outskirts of society, each member of the ad hoc family drawn into the same orbit by the centrifugal force of one small boy, Wrecker. This book is a fierce and unapologetic celebration of life, a lesson in nurturing and a reminder of the work it takes to get the real loving done. I enjoyed it so much.
La Deana R. (Norman, OK) (12/01/10)

Wrecker
As the mother of an adopted son, I often envisioned my child in the position that Wrecker was left in life. At 3 years old, the only person he ever loved was incarcerated. An uncle and mentally handicapped aunt "rescue" him and try to raise him. Or did he rescue them? Wrecker is the magnetic force that combines a random group of people who band together to raise him and love him. In the process, they grow to love and accept each other, warts and all! While the "family" Wrecker ends up in may not be conventional, the book deftly makes us realize love is all that is really needed to make up a family. Love is all that is needed to make all the difference in the world in the life of a child. This is a finely worded, uplifting book and a great story. I would recommend it for anyone wanting a change of pace!
Gigi K. (Lufkin,, TX) (12/01/10)

Family life
This read of a different type family was sweet but did not make me want to pick it up. Wrecker is an adoption story that turns out well but was definitely a book I did not mind putting down at the end of each chapter.
Cheri W. (Grand Rapids, MN) (11/23/10)

Sometimes it is Nice to Read About Good People
This was a page-turner from the opening of the book until the ending. It is nice to read about good people doing good things for each other. Wrecker is a little boy whose adults have failed him. He is lucky enough to be taken in by some of the most engrossing, kind-hearted people there could possibly be. This book follows him as he, and others, learn to trust again... and eventually learn that hope really isn't a bad thing. One of the most "happy" books I have read in a long time. Highly recommend it to anyone who needs a burst of brightness in their day!
WDH (New Port Richey, FL) (11/18/10)

Good
I liked this book, but found it a bit disjointed, meaning I sometimes had to jump around a bit to pull the storyline together. The characters are interesting and it definitely brings forth the concept that family doesn't always mean being related to each other by birth, but can be what people form when the care for each other and make a life together. Secrets and moving beyond what's happened in the past to create their future are also strong elements. Enjoyed.

• Book Jacket: Girl in the Blue Coat
    Girl in the Blue Coat
    by Monica Hesse
    Set in Amsterdam in January 1943, Monica Hesse's young adult novel, Girl in the Blue Coat, ...
  • Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

I I A Sign O T T