Reader reviews and comments on Unbroken, plus links to write your own review.

A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Unbroken

A very good book.
Margaret Dropek

The book gave me a better understanding what my husband went through in the 8th A.F. serving on a B-24 in the E.T.O. in 1943 as S.Sgt. and Chief Eng. and top turret gunner. It was a wonderfully discriptive and interesting.

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Our lIbrary chose Unbroken for us to read in our Book group.
I thought I would not be alble to read this book because my father went to WW2 & to the Korean war & I did not want to re-visit what happened during that war. I was glad that I decided to read it & could not wait to finish & see where it went on each page. It showed & taught me & hopefully our group how difficult these great men went through in WW2 & how they suffered & were treated during their captivity. How strong their spirit & hope were that they would be rescued & how they stood up to their captors.
Would recomment this book to friends & Family.
Louise J

Incredible Story!
This isn’t normally the type of book I would choose to read but something about the synopsis on the cover propelled me into buying it and I’m glad I did. This is the incredible and true story of Louis Zamperini’s survival, and redemption and the resilience of his mind, body, and spirit.

Power of the human spirit
This is an absolutely amazing story of human courage and strength as well as human perversity and cruelty. It is a war story but so much more. To read what these men went through is torture in itself. It seemed like the horror, from the moment the plane went down, could not get any worse - but it did.
This story also shows how far our countries (United States and Japan) have come from those horrible years. It is a lesson in forgiveness and understanding. It is a warning for current and future generations about the inhumanity of war.
Abbey Rheinhartt

An Important Historical Piece with Mass Appeal
Once again, Lauren Hillenbrand, who brought us Seabiscuit, has brought us a perfectly researched and perfectly written book. Although it is about World War II, it should be read by all, and perhaps become required reading in high school.
Cathy H.

Enlightening and inspiring
This well-researched book should be widely read. At the very least, it puts to rest any lingering doubts over the necessity to drop the big bombs to end the Pacific War. The sacrifices made by Louie, and every other man who served in WWII, as well as the civilians at home, cannot be overstated. After reading this I think they just might have been the Greatest Generation. Excellent book.
Marjorie Hartwell

Words fail me. I know the Pacific theater was hell. My father served on a destroyer escort and was on the Okinawa picket line. He saw a lot of action. But THIS story is almost unbelievable - how do men survive such brutality?? Every time the Bird picked up his kendo stick I cringed. I believe this book should be required history reading for high school students.

Japanese Prisoners of War