Reader reviews and comments on Yellow Dirt, plus links to write your own review.

Yellow Dirt

Jul 2011, 336 pages

Stacey Brownlie

There is 1 reader review for Yellow Dirt

Tammy Morales

I never knew and I lived in the outskirts Gallop, NM a short while.
When I read this book. It haunted me about the short time I resided there among some of the proudest people I've ever came across. Now I know why the chief kept pointing at a particular area and called the mountains, ' Fire Mountain.' I stayed with a Navajo family at the time and remember the people around there were poor and talk about cancer was looming in the community. I saw a little girl there with her hands that resembled claws and she could barely walk. I read this book and realized I was there and experienced the pain and anguish in the mothers eyes as her daughter laid wasting away from cancer and her deformities. It broke my heart. Kudos to the author for bringing this tragedy out in the open. The government and big greedy corporate jerks need to be held highly accountable for such atrocities. I stayed there in 1978 and to think my youngest child's deformity may be directly related to that exposure. His fingers on his left hand were fused together at birth... That made me think of that little girl. What other atrocities have the government covered up? Thank you Judy for having the courage to step up and expose those involved. A great book. Hopefully she can expose the real truth behind the Nevada Test Site. Many poor people were harmed behind all those nuclear tests bombs and are also fighting the government today. So many other covered up stories out there and many people are dying from lies and blatant cover ups today. Our planet is slowly becoming a toxic wasteland. It's only a matter of time before most of the life on this planet dwindles to yellow dirt and we all turn into yellow dust.

The Navajo Nation

• Book Jacket: The Flight Portfolio
    The Flight Portfolio
    by Julie Orringer
    At once a sweeping historical narrative, an insightful character study and a tender romance, Julie ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Make Friends with the Dark
    How to Make Friends with the Dark
    by Kathleen Glasgow
    Don't go to bed angry; make up after fights; always say I love you – you don't know when ...
    Red Birds
    by Mohammed Hanif
    Mohmmed Hanif's Red Birds is part Catch-22, part Slaughterhouse-Five, part Kafka's The Castle, and ...
  • Book Jacket: Endeavour
    Endeavour
    by Peter Moore
    Miriam-Webster defines a biography as "a usually written history of a person's life." One might ...

The Volunteer
    by Jack Fairweather

The true story of one man, an underground army, and the secret mission to destroy Auschwitz from within.

Patsy
    by Nicole Dennis-Benn

A haunting depiction of immigration and womanhood, and the silent threads of love.

Win The Guest Book

The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense."
—Entertainment Weekly