Reader reviews and comments on Bury Your Dead, plus links to write your own review.

A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel, #6

by Louise Penny

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny X
Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Sep 2010, 384 pages
    Aug 2011, 384 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Bury Your Dead

Maggie P. (Mount Airy, MD)

Bury Your Dead
"Bury Your Dead" grabbed me from the very beginning and kept me involved until the end. Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, as he tries to recover from a previous incident, takes the reader on a tour of Old Quebec. Along the way, the reader learns about the tensions between the French and English residents of Quebec. Multiple story lines keep the reader involved in the story. This was my first book by Louise Penny, but it will not be my last.
Karen L. (Antelope, CA)

The best of the Three Pines mysteries
Author Louise Penny has hit a new high with "Bury Your Dead." Always strong with character development, in this book she also proves to be a skillful storyteller, with an intricate plot that comes together beautifully at the end. The author artfully manages to pack an emotional punch in a story where all the characters and their foibles are already well known to the audience. Any devoted reader of Agatha Christie, indeed any reader of mystery books, will likely find "Bury Your Dead" to be an affecting, but satisfying, novel.
Ann D. (Clermont, GA)

Penny Scores Again
In Louise Penny's "Bury Your Dead", two homicides are solved and Inspector Armand Gamache struggles to recover physically and mentally from a terrorist attack that leaves him near death and with much guilt and despair over the loss of fellow officers.

As usual Penny's characters are well-drawn, complicated, and fascinating people, and we revisit the small village of Three Pines as well as Quebec City Penny's books are never disappointing and she continues to produce sophisticated, compelling fiction.
Elaine B. (franklin, MA)

Three Pines AND Quebec City
Does it get any better than this? I don't think so. We get to see a more personal side of Gamache and visit some old friends and some new. A touching and interesting story. Louise Penney just gets better! Please keep writing Louise. I was totally involved from beginning to end and I hadn't read the previous book! I highly recommend this book and Quebec City and Three Pines and the whole series!
Katherine S. (seaford, VA)

Nesting Dolls
Quite good and as involved as Nesting Dolls...3 mysteries within a mystery, just like walled Quebec City itself...as is mentioned in the book. Good pacing & character development and very atmospheric. Recommend this to all readers...mystery lovers, travelers, and history buffs alike because you feel like you are in snowy Quebec for Carnival and learn much of its compelling history. Loved the "brave" loyal dog, Henri.
Carol G. (Little Egg Harbor, NJ)

Bury Your Dead
This is the first time I have ever read Louise Penny and since reading this book, I have reserved the first book in this series from my local library; loved this book! I love mystery and this book did not disappoint. One of the favorite things I like is getting involved in characters and these characters are unforgettable. There are several story lines and they are terrific. One of them refers to the previous book which I will have to read. I have told all my mystery buff friends about Louise Penny and look forward to reading her prior books in this series as well as future books. What a gem. I will definitely recommend it to my Book Club.
Sandra H. (St. Cloud, Minnesota)

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny
Louise Penny’s Three Pines novels just keep getting better. "Bury the Dead" takes readers into a darker world than any of the five earlier novels in this series while keeping many of the same quirky characters and adding some delightful new ones. But this is Chief Inspector Gamache’s novel. Gamache must come to terms with making a wrong decision that costs the life of one of his agents. Set in Quebec City during a cold Canadian winter that mirrors the coldness Gamache feels in his soul, Penny goes beyond a well-written cozy mystery to a novel that deals with how we must face the reality of our weaknesses and learn to accept them along with our successes and our strengths.

Penny’s Gamache will remind readers of Donna Leon’s Commissario Guido Brunetti. Like Leon’s novels, Penny’s depend on well-crafted characters and intricate plots rather than on violence and tough macho detectives. For such readers, "Bury Your Dead" will prove a most satisfying read.
Marta T. (Lafayette, CA)

Mystery set in Quebec City in winter
Fans of a good mystery that keeps the reader engaged without resorting to gratuitous bloodshed will appreciate this story of a local historian's murder. The story is rich in characterization and setting, bringing to life tension between French and English interests in Quebec, the pain of an investigator dealing with loss of comrades, and the stark beauty of winter.

• Book Jacket: The Sun Is a Compass
    The Sun Is a Compass
    by Caroline Van Hemert
    Caroline Van Hemert fell in love with her future husband, Pat, in 2001, discovering they shared a ...
  • Book Jacket: Women Talking
    Women Talking
    by Miriam Toews
    Miriam Toews' Women Talking is a circadian novel, unfolding over a span of just a few hours and ...
  • Book Jacket: Confessions of an Innocent Man
    Confessions of an Innocent Man
    by David R. Dow
    It is circumstance that carries the wave that sweeps trendy Houston restaurateur Rafael Zhettah to ...
  • Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

D-Day Girls
    by Sarah Rose

The dramatic story of the extraordinary women recruited by Britain's elite spy agency to help pave the way for Allied victory.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Women Rowing North

The instant New York Times bestseller

A guide to wisdom, authenticity, and bliss for women as they age.

A B Penny A T U