MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Mr. Peanut, plus links to write your own review.

Mr. Peanut

Elena Spagnolie

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Mr. Peanut

Bonnie Brody (07/08/10)

Disappointing Read
I read Mr. Peanut and was quite disappointed. The book was disjointed, it seemed to try and go too many places and the ultimate feeling I had was boredom. It is about a man whose wife dies from choking on a peanut. Did he kill her or was it an accident? The book also goes into the lives of the detectives on the case. It does have an interesting premise but it panned out poorly.
R.M. Trilipush (05/17/10)

Excellent Debut
Mr. Peanut is definitely worth a read. I enjoyed the Escher-esque plot, the allusions to Hitchcock and Nabokov, and the shout out to Silence of the Lambs. But most of all, I liked the writing. It's hard to find a book these days that is both literary and highly readable, and this is one.

Other reviews I've read have found the plot a bit overwrought. I disagree. The complexity adds to the suspense and storytelling. Did David Pepin kill his wife? Did he drive her to kill herself? Did he just fail to save her? The Hastroll and Shepperd interludes prepare the reader for the answer. The Hastroll storyline focuses our attention on a husband's frustrated attempts to understand the inexplicable behavior of his wife. We are made to feel (vividly) Hastroll's mounting anxiety and desperation as he tries repeatedly to placate his wife and becomes unraveled in the process.

The Sheppard storyline works a different angle. Sheppard's complete disregard for his wife gives us a glimpse into the mind of a total narcissist who doesn't care about his marriage until it's too late. Hastroll wants to save his marriage. Sheppard basically destroys his. If nothing else, Mr. Peanut has much to say on what a marriage can withstand. By the time we come to the end of the novel, we are prepared for ANY answer with respect to David Pepin.

The cleverness of the novel -- at least on the plot level -- is that it provides a means for the reader to fully explore EVERY answer. Saying more than that would give away huge spoilers. But the plot, clever as it is, is not really what kept me reading. I was drawn in by the writing. Ross's talents as writer are on full display. The quotidian concerns of married life are verbalized intelligently and elevated to high drama.

Parts of the novel are cinematic (David and Alice in Hawaii, Sheppard's interrogation of Mobius). Even descriptions of setting and place are done thoughtfully. Very little feels plot-driven or contrived, even though the story relies heavily on the conventions of a murder-mystery. The novel is smart in its language and execution (no pun intended), and makes no bones about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Peanuts and Anaphylaxis

• Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T