MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Swan Thieves, plus links to write your own review.

The Swan Thieves

Judy Krueger

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Swan Thieves

Elinor (04/25/11)

beautifully painterly
I loved this book from the beginning. The descriptions were so real and I felt the torment of the psychotic artist and the people who loved him. The parallel stories of the 19th and 20th centuries were well done.
Heather (11/17/10)

Disappointment
Kostiva's first novel held me captivated and spellbound and I was very excited when this second novel came out, however, I couldn't even finish it. The characters were flat, and the storyline just plodded along. I felt as if I was waiting for something, anything, to develop that would intrigue me. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and continue reading waiting for the spellbinding effect of the first novel to take over. Finally, I threw the book away in disgust. I was highly disappointed by Kostiva's second novel and I do not recommend it at all.
Janet Elliott (11/04/10)

The Swan Theives
I loved this book from the first page; the clever way that it bridged the years, the visual descriptions of people, landscapes and colours. To me it left questions unanswered but this made it even more thought provoking. Even though I finished reading it two days ago I still feel the urge to go back to certain parts and re-read them. As with many other books I feel quite sad to be without all these lovely characters.
Marketa G. (09/29/10)

Unfortunately disappointing
I suppose after the success of The Historian, my expectations were quite high, as I am sure were those of other fans of Kostova's debut novel.

Unfortunately, I found the characters in The Swan Thieves rather uninteresting, and really didn't care about any of them. Her prose is dull, unfocused and tedious, and I found it difficult to get through each chapter.

The Swan Thieves just doesn't work.
Patricia Van Es (06/07/10)

The swan thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
It is beautifully and sensitively written, the story is not long when you put the whole of it together. One is meant to take your time and enjoy the painters for themselves individually, the scenes they are painting , the human interest and the atmosphere around them as well as the intrigue in the story. When you finish reading the whole book you are glad that you read to the end.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun