What readers think of The Things That Keep Us Here, plus links to write your own review.

The Things That Keep Us Here

by Carla Buckley

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley X
The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley

Feb 2010, 416 pages
    Jan 2011, 432 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Things That Keep Us Here

Ruth O. (Downingtown, PA)

Good read but with questions...............
The Things That Keep Us Here was a very enjoyable novel that kept me engrossed cover to cover. This is an apocalyptic book where life-as-we-know-it is turned upside down during a flu pandemic, and one family’s experiences are developed. The information in it is very timely and the science is accurate, unlike other books I’ve read of this genre. That said, there are several functional questions I had as I was reading that almost took me out of the context; for instance, why didn’t the water pipes freeze? Additionally, the epilogue seemed rushed without complete answers to all of the questions. However, I still enjoyed the book and recommend it!
Jodie A. (CORPUS CHRISTI, TX)

It Needed More of the Things That Keep Us Here
A book about the H1 flu bug was timely but it did not hold my interest. It moved very slowly,(unlike the flu virus) and in the whole first half of the book nothing much happens. The characters were underdeveloped and uninteresting although I liked her creative naming of some of the characters. I am sad to say the book put me to sleep.
Kathleen B. (Spokane, WA)

Lots of Plot
The plot was a roller coaster ride and I couldn't wait to get to the end to find out what happened. However, the characters were stereotyped, the descriptions minimal, and the writing choppy. Read it as a "beach read" or a substitute for a "made for tv movie," but don't expect more. This might be a good book for YA reading groups.
Maureen S. (Rainier, WA)

The Things That Keep Us Here
The story takes place during an Avian flu pandemic. Certainly a timely topic as we begin to cope with the H1N1. As we see the shortages appear and the loss of basic services due to a horrifying storm, we see a divorced couple co-parenting two daughters and forced to come together to make life and death decisions about who to help and who lives and who dies.

What the author does well is weave a spellbinding plot with well drawn characters that remind us of people we know and love. In doing so, she asks the reader--what would you choose in this situation? All the while knowing that all answers can be right and all answers can be wrong.

It was a fast and satisfying read.
Margaret M. (Chicago, IL)

the things that keep us here
Timing is everything! I could not or did want to finish this book. it was too close to home and scary with the H1N1 pandemic we are now facing. I made a gallant effort but found myself sleepless over it.

the plot is captivating but character delineation is weak. The writing style is very plain and reminiscent of simplistic easy to read books.

Perhaps someone with more fortitude might really enjoy the subject matter but I did not at this particular time.
Momof3boys

Save Your Time
This book was terribly written. None of the characters are likable and I basically did not care how it ended! Is was 400 pages of NOTHING!!!!

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: All That She Carried
    All That She Carried
    by Tiya Miles
    For Rose of Charleston, South Carolina, it was an ordinary day until it wasn't. When it turned out ...
    Migrations
    by Charlotte McConaghy
    Migrations, Australian author Charlotte McConaghy's literary fiction debut, earned a notably high ...
  • Book Jacket: The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel
    Kristin Harmel's historical novel The Forest of Vanishing Stars was very well-received by our First ...
  • Book Jacket: African Europeans
    African Europeans
    by Olivette Otele
    The nexus of Africans and Europeans is not a recent historical development. Rather, the peoples of ...

All the Little Hopes
by Leah Weiss
A Southern story of friendship forged by books and bees, in the murky shadows of World War II.

The Sunset Route
    by Carrot Quinn

A beautiful memoir about forgiveness, self-discovery, and the redemptive power of nature.

Win This Book!
Win The Debt Trap

The Debt Trap
by Josh Mitchell

"A meticulous, eye-opening history of the US student debt crisis."
—Publishers Weekly