What readers think of The Things That Keep Us Here, plus links to write your own review.

by Carla Buckley

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley X
The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley

Feb 2010, 416 pages
    Jan 2011, 432 pages

There are currently 30 reader reviews for The Things That Keep Us Here

Shannon R. (Sunburst, MT)

Good for a first time author
This book was really intriguing. I really enjoyed learning about the "science" of the avian flu. It was really thought provoking about would I be ready for a pandemic and had to stay at home for an unknown amount of time. However, the ending could definitely be improved (edited to remove plot spoiler...). There was also inconsistencies that were not plausible.... All in all, it was a good first effort and I did enjoy it.
Zonetta G. (Winter Springs, FL)

The Things that Keep Us Here
The author presents a thought provoking picture of a real potential threat to families in today's world. While I found the character development a little weak (one dimensional) the intensity picked up about two-thirds through the novel. All the situations presented happening to one family may or may not be realistic but offer a synopsis of scary possibilities to think about. Definitely a good recommendation for book clubs as it will certainly generate lively discussion.
Erica M. (Skokie, IL)

Things that Keep us Here
This was a well-imagined book about what the world would look like if a pandemic hit. It was a realistic view of the community, country and world view in a crisis situation. The description of a 13-year-old girl's behavior in such a crisis was excellent. My greatest problem with the book was that I never felt emotionally connected to the main characters in the story. I also wonder if the surprise at the end, alluded to throughout the book was necessary as anything other than as a device to keep one moving forward through the story. It never worked to explain the relationship between the characters, since the explanation was realized until the end.
Susan K. (dartmouth, MA)

The Things That Keep Us Here
A very timely topic, to say the least. I found myself wondering what I, myself would do if my family were in the same situation. The author increased the complexities of the story as it went along, making the book more "unputdownable" as it progressed; a good tactic. Yes, it will be a great book club read, but I think it would be an invaluable tool used in a high school lit class as well - so many topics could be gleaned for discussion.
Marsha S. (Nags Head, NC)

The Things That Keep Us Here
Once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down. It is a gripping story of a woman who finds herself forced to ensure the survival of her family in a flu pandemic which is sweeping the country. The story certainly made me think hard about what I would do if faced with some of the same decisions that Ann was forced to make. Given the timely nature of the subject, I think any mature reader would find the story interesting and though-provoking.
Anita P. (Honeoye Falls, NY)

Engaging Premise; Perfect for Book Clubs
What would happen if a deadly disease spread so quickly that is wreaked havoc on society as we know it?

That is the premise of this engaging novel. The protagonist, Ann, faces a myriad of moral dilemmas in this book that will have you asking yourself "what would I do?" It provides enough fodder for book club discussions that could last well into the night.

This book reads like a thriller at times, but with much better character development. If you enjoy Jodi Picoult (and I do!), the writing style is reminiscent of hers ... fast paced, engaging, with imperfect characters that you quickly grow to care about.
Jane H. (Owensboro, KY)

The Things That Keep Us Here
This is a very timely little book about what could happen in the event of a flu pandemic. I have to tell you I was riveted to the pages until I finished. I was so "into it" that I found myself much more aware of people sneezing, coughing in public -- finding myself almost terrified when I was close to someone with cold symptoms.

The writing was a little simplistic and I found the ending to be a bit rushed ... thus the ranking of 4 rather than 5. It is a VERY readable book and would make for wonderful book club discussions. I think it will do well in the marketplace.
Madeline M. (Sarasota, FL)

Well-written, page-turner
This well-written, page-turner is a terrifying reminder of how horror isn't always sudden and in-your-face, how it can also be slow and subtle, and how it can creep into our lives in many different ways, at any moment.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: How the Word Is Passed
    How the Word Is Passed
    by Clint Smith
    With legislatures around the U.S. rushing to ban the teaching of critical race theory, it's clear ...
  • Book Jacket: Big Vape
    Big Vape
    by Jamie Ducharme
    In Big Vape, TIME reporter Jamie Ducharme studies the short but inflammatory history of Juul. Her ...
  • Book Jacket: Love and Fury
    Love and Fury
    by Samantha Silva
    Mary Wollstonecraft is best known for being an early advocate for women's rights and the mother of ...
  • Book Jacket: Walking on Cowrie Shells
    Walking on Cowrie Shells
    by Nana Nkweti
    The stories in Nana Nkweti's dexterous debut collection examine the raw alienation of being ...

The War Nurse
by Tracey Enerson Wood
A sweeping novel by an international bestselling author based on a true World War I story.

Lady Sunshine
    by Amy Mason Doan

One iconic family. One summer of secrets. The dazzling spirit of 1970s California.

The Forest of Vanishing Stars
    by Kristin Harmel

An evocative coming-of-age World War II story from the author of The Book of Lost Names.

Win This Book!
Win Gordo

Gordo by Jaime Cortez

"Dark and hilarious ... singular and soaring ... Hands down, top debut of 2021."—Literary Hub

N Say N