What readers think of Invisible, plus links to write your own review.

Invisible

Jun 2010, 320 pages

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for Invisible

Ole P. Pedersen

The fall and fall and fall of meta novels
This is actually the first Auster book I have read, and maybe I should have started somewhere else. Auster writes well and creates a couple of interesting characters, but he doesn't really get close to them, not even the main man, Adam. The time lines are well constructed, with a good combination of past and present tangled together.

The book certainly annoyed me, which is a good thing, but after a while I realised what really got on my nerves was that the author didn't really seem to care too much about anything, and haphazardly skipped from one life changing moment to another.

Maybe it is just a way of saying "listen, young folks, nothing matters in the end", but it seems Auster at this attempt was too carried away with an idea of a meta novel which may be of interest for literary students and Auster's inner circle, but not the average guy in the street. But who thinks Auster writes for them anyway?

There is some good moments, notably towards the end when the whole story suddenly is put into a different light, but in the end it seems the author does this tricks just to show off that he is a master of the art of novel writing. And the diary section he tries to create is quite simply a poor finish with little or no nerve whatsoever.

If it wasn't for the fact that the book actually sparked a reaction in me, I would have given this book a "2 - poor" rating. But he gets a plus for annoying me.

Frame Narration and Ekphrasis

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.25 per month.

• Book Jacket: River of the Gods
    River of the Gods
    by Candice Millard
    The Nile River has provided vital resources for millennia, serving as a source of water, food and ...
  • Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Geraldine Brooks creates a powerful backstory for 19th-century thoroughbred racehorse Lexington, ...
  • Book Jacket: Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance
    Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance
    by Alison Espach
    Notes on Your Sudden Disappearance will make you ache for a loss you didn't experience as you relate...
  • Book Jacket: Mercy Street
    Mercy Street
    by Jennifer Haigh
    Jennifer Haigh's Mercy Street centers around a Boston clinic that provides abortion services. The ...

Hamnet
by Maggie O'Farrell
"Of all the stories...about Shakespeare’s life, [Hamnet] is so gorgeously written that it transports you."
The Boston Globe

Members Recommend

Jackie & Me
    by Louis Bayard

Master storyteller Louis Bayard delivers a surprising portrait of a young Jackie Kennedy as we've never seen her before.

Good Husbands
    by Cate Ray

Three wives, one letter, and an explosive secret that will change everything.
    He said, she said. Who do you believe?

Win This Book!
Win Where the Crawdads Sing

Win a signed copy of Where the Crawdads Sing

In celebration of the movie release on July 15, we have three signed copies to give away.

T O Thing W H T F I F I