Reader reviews and comments on Invisible, plus links to write your own review.

Invisible

by Paul Auster

Invisible

Oct 2009, 320 pages
    Jun 2010, 320 pages

Amy Reading

There is 1 reader review for Invisible

Ole P. Pedersen (11/21/09)

The fall and fall and fall of meta novels
This is actually the first Auster book I have read, and maybe I should have started somewhere else. Auster writes well and creates a couple of interesting characters, but he doesn't really get close to them, not even the main man, Adam. The time lines are well constructed, with a good combination of past and present tangled together.

The book certainly annoyed me, which is a good thing, but after a while I realised what really got on my nerves was that the author didn't really seem to care too much about anything, and haphazardly skipped from one life changing moment to another.

Maybe it is just a way of saying "listen, young folks, nothing matters in the end", but it seems Auster at this attempt was too carried away with an idea of a meta novel which may be of interest for literary students and Auster's inner circle, but not the average guy in the street. But who thinks Auster writes for them anyway?

There is some good moments, notably towards the end when the whole story suddenly is put into a different light, but in the end it seems the author does this tricks just to show off that he is a master of the art of novel writing. And the diary section he tries to create is quite simply a poor finish with little or no nerve whatsoever.

If it wasn't for the fact that the book actually sparked a reaction in me, I would have given this book a "2 - poor" rating. But he gets a plus for annoying me.

The Marriage of Opposites
    by Alice Hoffman
  • Book Jacket: Miss Jane
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson
  • Book Jacket: Dinner with Edward
    Dinner with Edward
    by Isabel Vincent
    In late 2009 Isabel Vincent and her family were still newcomers to New York City. She and her ...

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All