Reader reviews and comments on A Gate at the Stairs, plus links to write your own review.

A Gate at the Stairs

Lucia Silva

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A Gate at the Stairs

shelly (07/11/11)

A Gate At The Stairs
I read this book with my book group or I never would have finished it. I kept thinking "what am I missing?" because I just didn't get it. I thought it was written by an 18 year old so I guess in that regard the author nailed the voice. Then I thought that perhaps this is supposed to be funny, so I found a website and listened for a bit. Nope not funny. I never could care about any of the characters or the story line. In fact the story was so disjointed it was hard to follow. I really hate when authors have these mental meanderings that have nothing to do with the story itself just to (I assume) put words on pages. It's completely opposite of the way we were taught to write in college. Aaah, maybe that's my real problem with this book.
J. Hampshire (10/11/10)

Wouldn't recommend
In our small book club of seven no one enjoyed this book. Perhaps our club is to new and our reading skills are not all that deep. We just want to read a good story and we sure did not find it in this book. There are so many things going one it's as if the author had all these ideas so she decided to just put them all together. Unfortunately none of the ideas were that interesting. Sorry this book was not for us.

Do No Harm
    by Henry Marsh
    British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh might already be familiar as the subject of the Emmy-winning ...
  • Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q