MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Gate at the Stairs, plus links to write your own review.

A Gate at the Stairs

Lucia Silva

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A Gate at the Stairs

shelly (07/11/11)

A Gate At The Stairs
I read this book with my book group or I never would have finished it. I kept thinking "what am I missing?" because I just didn't get it. I thought it was written by an 18 year old so I guess in that regard the author nailed the voice. Then I thought that perhaps this is supposed to be funny, so I found a website and listened for a bit. Nope not funny. I never could care about any of the characters or the story line. In fact the story was so disjointed it was hard to follow. I really hate when authors have these mental meanderings that have nothing to do with the story itself just to (I assume) put words on pages. It's completely opposite of the way we were taught to write in college. Aaah, maybe that's my real problem with this book.
J. Hampshire (10/11/10)

Wouldn't recommend
In our small book club of seven no one enjoyed this book. Perhaps our club is to new and our reading skills are not all that deep. We just want to read a good story and we sure did not find it in this book. There are so many things going one it's as if the author had all these ideas so she decided to just put them all together. Unfortunately none of the ideas were that interesting. Sorry this book was not for us.

• Book Jacket: Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    Everyone Brave is Forgiven
    by Chris Cleave
    I've always been interested in the history of the Blitz, the period of intense aerial raids of ...
  • Book Jacket: Saving Montgomery Sole
    Saving Montgomery Sole
    by Mariko Tamaki
    Understanding identity is one the most important parts of adolescence. For some teenagers, those who...
  • Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

The Alaskan Laundry
    by Brendan Jones

A fresh debut novel about a young woman who moves to Alaska and finds herself through the hard work of fishing.

I I A Sign O T T