MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Gate at the Stairs, plus links to write your own review.

A Gate at the Stairs

Lucia Silva

There are currently 2 reader reviews for A Gate at the Stairs

shelly (07/11/11)

A Gate At The Stairs
I read this book with my book group or I never would have finished it. I kept thinking "what am I missing?" because I just didn't get it. I thought it was written by an 18 year old so I guess in that regard the author nailed the voice. Then I thought that perhaps this is supposed to be funny, so I found a website and listened for a bit. Nope not funny. I never could care about any of the characters or the story line. In fact the story was so disjointed it was hard to follow. I really hate when authors have these mental meanderings that have nothing to do with the story itself just to (I assume) put words on pages. It's completely opposite of the way we were taught to write in college. Aaah, maybe that's my real problem with this book.
J. Hampshire (10/11/10)

Wouldn't recommend
In our small book club of seven no one enjoyed this book. Perhaps our club is to new and our reading skills are not all that deep. We just want to read a good story and we sure did not find it in this book. There are so many things going one it's as if the author had all these ideas so she decided to just put them all together. Unfortunately none of the ideas were that interesting. Sorry this book was not for us.

• Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun