Reader reviews and comments on Homer & Langley, plus links to write your own review.

Homer & Langley

Sep 2010, 224 pages

Natasha Vargas-Cooper

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Homer & Langley

deb hone

so captivated i read it twice.
I would recommend this book to everyone, you will find a little piece of Langley and Homer in yourself, very relate-able characters. people that are hoarders really need to read this book. This book should be available in every public school library.
JD

Eloquence
I read in several "professional" reviews that Mr. D. does not go far enough into the minds of these fascinating characters or the history of the times that surround them. I must say this is called eloquence. When an author of his ability can tell the reader what needs to be told in 208 pages ... the reader gets a tiny look towards perfection.
PDXReader

Good, but not great
Historical fiction should offer a new perspective on real-life events or people, adding details created by the author to supplement what is known and factual. I felt like Doctorow didn’t do enough of that. The book, to me, felt a bit too “light,” with too little included that wasn’t part of the historical record. It was entertaining enough, but I didn’t feel like I had a better understanding of the brothers’ situation or point of view by the book’s end.
Louisa Tucker Converse

Homer and Langley - A Study In Perspective
Homer and Langley Collyer were a pair of brothers who were caught up in the madness created by their own minds; Homer was the more dominant, Langley the pliable and amenable. Mr. Doctorow fails to give them even the semblance of human beings and instead indulges in numerous flights of fantasy, none of which have the slightest resemblance to reality. Case in point: PROSTITUTES!!!??? Homer and Langley were chaste to the point of total celibacy and in addition came from an extremely strict Victorian background! Who does Mr. Doctorow think he is to presume to think for the pair of brothers who, through no fault of their own, descended into the depths of total madness, manifested by the huge amounts of junk they accumulated. Mr. Doctorow would do well to read Marcia Davenport's "My Brother's Keeper", which is an excellent account of the Collyer brothers in all their glory, where every page is a PEARL, etc., etc., etc.

The Real Homer and Langley

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

The Shadow King
by Maaza Mengiste

An unforgettable epic shortlisted for the 2020 Booker Prize, and named a best book of the year by the New York Times.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C