What readers think of A Pearl in the Storm, plus links to write your own review.

A Pearl in the Storm

Apr 2010, 304 pages

Jo Perry

There are currently 20 reader reviews for A Pearl in the Storm

Carole Scureman

A Pearl in the Storm - you won't be able to put it down!
I chose this book for our book club because I had read it when it first was published and I really liked it. Reading it the second time was even more interesting. I found it fascinating to read about what happened to Tori Murden McClure when she was rowing across the Atlantic and just as interested in her life. It is a book you can't put down. Her descriptions of what happened to her during the huge storms (hurricanes) she encountered were breath taking. Tori Murden McClure is a very extraordinary woman. Everyone in my club really liked the book. I highly recommended it.
eva

love this book!
I am a 12 year old girl who decided to read this book when hearing about my mom reading it. And i must say this is a very inspiring and AMAZING book. If you haven't read this book... YOU SHOULD!
Cathy

Excellent adventure!
This was an amazing book from a truly amazing person. Tori Murden McClure has led a fascinating life and does a great job of sharing it with us. The style of writing made the book move quickly and the story was interesting. I can not get over the experiences she had out on the ocean! It took a lot of courage for her to do what she did, not just rowing across the ocean but all the choices she had to make over her life. Kudos to Tori for putting it all down on the page for us. Book clubs get ready for a great discussion after this read. It should motivate all of us to strive for better and to never give up.
Jean

A Pearl in the Storm, How I Found My Heart in the Middle of the Ocean
I rarely read non-fiction books, but am very glad that I read this one. It was difficult to put it down. (read it in 1 1/2 days) This is a great story, very well told. The author's mind, heart and spirit are impressive. The words in this story captured my imagination and I was caught up in the adventure. This would be a very good book for a book club discussion.
Gigi

Life-transforming adventure
This is a life-transforming adventure for both author and reader. Tori Murden McClure has effectively woven her row across an ocean with her life experiences through life from early childhood. "A Pearl in the Storm" would captivate readers from ages 15 to 150 both intellectually and emotionally. It is much more than entertaining; it is engaging, and the memories will linger.
Karen

A Pearl in the Storm
This book is definitely a rare pearl! Extremely readable and enjoyable. I would recommend it for everyone; teens, book clubs, and anyone who likes to read. It is inspirational and forceful. I usually read fiction, but found this much more compelling than anything I have read lately. Tori's story is amazing - as is she! I am recommending it to all my friends. As a additional bonus, I found out more about rowing and small craft ocean travel than I ever would have researched on my own.

Definitely a must read!
Becky

Inspirational
A Pearl in the Storm by Tori Murden Mcclure was indeed a story worthy of telling. This book challenged me, inspired me and moved me. I cried, laughed and couldn't put it down. I was gripped not only by what was happening at sea, but the poignant events of Tori's life as they replayed in intervals throughout the book. I literally couldn't put it down. It left me wanting just a little bit more. Hopefully there is more to come. Thanks for sharing such an incredible adventure. Bravo!
Kathy

Wow
I enjoyed this book very much and was always sad when I had to put it down. I enjoyed how she weaved her life story in between the days of rowing. It did not go too long on either the rowing or about her family. Her descriptions while in the boat of the water, storms, brilliant stars, and sea life are very vivid. I recommend this book very highly.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Let's Not Do That Again
    Let's Not Do That Again
    by Grant Ginder
    We have all dealt with inescapable, insufferable family members at some point, and the ones who say ...
  • Book Jacket: Atomic Anna
    Atomic Anna
    by Rachel Barenbaum
    If you had the opportunity to prevent one of the world's most horrific disasters, would you? What if...
  • Book Jacket: The Colony
    The Colony
    by Audrey Magee
    The Colony opens with Mr Lloyd, a London artist, being transported to a Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Return of Faraz Ali
    The Return of Faraz Ali
    by Aamina Ahmad
    In Aamina Ahmad's debut, The Return of Faraz Ali, the eponymous character is a police inspector in ...

The Book Woman's Daughter
by Kim Michele Richardson
A mesmerizing and beautifully rendered tale of strong women, bravery, and resilience.

The Immortal King Rao
    by Vauhini Vara

A resonant debut novel obliterating the boundaries between literary and speculative fiction, the historic and the dystopian.

Fly Girl
    by Ann Hood

"Sheer pleasure. A hilarious and often moving look back at...a young woman's coming of age."
    —Dennis Lehane

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say. ...

T S's T Limit