Reader reviews and comments on The Black Tower, plus links to write your own review.

The Black Tower

Donna Chavez

There is 1 reader review for The Black Tower

Kim

Excellent historical fiction
I read a lot of historical fiction, and I have to admit this was one of the more enjoyable novels I’ve chanced upon in awhile (thank you, Bookbrowse!). The plot revolves around a young doctor who, through chance, becomes involved in a mystery pursued by Eugene Francois Vidoq, historically considered the father of modern criminal investigation.

Bayard deftly weaves these characters into the real-life mystery of the fate of Louis XVII. The author does a marvelous job of characterization, as well as providing a clear sense of time and place. Additionally, the novel is very well-paced, never becoming dull. I looked up the facts behind the book after finishing it, and was pleased to note that Bayard took few, if any, liberties with what is known about Vidoq and the disappearance of Charles-Louis.

My only disappointment in Bayard's writing was that at times the dialect seemed too British, particularly early in the book and when relating the comments of lower-class characters (e.g., at one point a character complains of being “peached” – informed upon – which to me sounds more like Dickens than Dumas). Overall, though, this was a fine novel that I won’t hesitate to recommend to my reading friends.

• Book Jacket: Memories of the Future
    Memories of the Future
    by Siri Hustvedt
    I've never kept a journal, but my mother has written in hers for years, the annual volumes she's ...
  • Book Jacket: Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss
    by Rajeev Balasubramanyam
    Rajeev Balasubramanyam encapsulates the theme of Professor Chandra Follows his Bliss in its first ...
  • Book Jacket: The Workshop and the World
    The Workshop and the World
    by Robert P. Crease
    The longest glacier in France, the Mer de Glace, is losing roughly 12 feet of ice height each year. ...
  • Book Jacket: Instructions for a Funeral
    Instructions for a Funeral
    by David Means
    Following a venture into novels with Hystopia in 2016, Instructions for a Funeral is a return to ...

Greek to Me
    by Mary Norris

The Comma Queen returns with a buoyant book about language, love, and the wine-dark sea.

When We Left Cuba
    by Chanel Cleeton

An exhilarating historical novel from the author of Next Year in Havana, a Reese Witherspoon Book Club pick.

Book Club
Fly Girls
by Keith O'Brien

How five daring women defied all odds and made aviation history.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Ecstasy

Win copies to share with friends or your book club!

Ecstasy reveals the true Alma Mahler: composer, author, daughter, mother, wife, lover, and muse.

A B Penny A T U