Reader reviews and comments on The Good Thief, plus links to write your own review.

by Hannah Tinti

The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti

Aug 2008, 336 pages
    Aug 2009, 352 pages

Lucia Silva

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Good Thief

Kathryn J Morano

A Picaresque Novel
While reading this highly entertaining book, I couln't help comparing it to the picaresque Spanish classic, Lazarillo de Tormes, about an orphaned boy brought up by a series of roguish masters who teach him how to survive on the streets through theft and trickery, and who often physically abuse him. Similar to Lazarillo (named after Lazarus, the resurrected man from the Bible) The Good Thief is a criticism of the hypocrisy of society seen through the innocent eyes of a child who does not personally comment on the evils of prostitution, or the brutality of hired thugs, for example, but who shows the reader how prevalent they are.
Again, in both works, the moral teachings of the Catholic church are held up against the failings of the people in charge of practicing and teaching those precepts.

Besides the similarity to Dickens' picaresque Oliver Twist, as mentioned in other reviews, readers might also note a resemblance, in Twain's picaresque novel, to Huckleberry Finn, who arrives at his own sense of morality and social justice, especially after his experiences with the two knaves, the "duke" and the "dauphin." In all, The Good Thief will take you on an adventure, leaving you pondering the merits of modern society and how it measures up to the social and moral justice lacking in early 19th century New England.

Editor's note: A picaresque novel (from the Spanish picaro - rogue/rascal) depicts in realistic, often humorous/satirical detail, the adventures of a roguish hero of low social class.
Janice

Read this book if . . .
Read this book if you enjoy descriptive settings and a cast of characters that reel you in like a fish on a hook. Once I started this book I had a hard time putting it down. I can't wait to read this with my book club because it isn't a book for everyone read the other reviews which will make the discussion lively and interesting.
Janice

The Good Thief
This is a genre we don't see often in our times of dangerous and difficult travel: a picaresque novel, set in an almost mythological New England past, with a ragtag band of characters for whom a journey is just as difficult. Like all such journeys this is really about finding home by creating a family and finding oneself. With all that great stuff going on, let me add this is first and foremost hilarious! Scene after scene gives us brilliant images and unexpected events through the eyes of a gently ironic, soul-hungry young boy, Ren, just "adopted" from an orphanage all too glad to be done with him, and not too particular about who claims him. To say more will spoil your fun. If I had five thumbs instead of just two,they'd all be up!
Pat

The Good Thief
This book is a real page turner. The characters are reminiscent of Charles Dicken's characters, but they become real people. When I feel that I could have lunch with one of the characters and delve into a conversation with them, I know that it's a good book.

It is a book is for all generations to enjoy.
Amy

The Good Thief--Unique Read!
This book is really different from anything I’ve read lately, and I absolutely loved it! It’s a really fun book with vivid characters, imaginative descriptions, and spot on perfect pacing. The world in this story is brought quickly to life, I came to care about Ren and the people who enriched his life very quickly, and the adventures and experiences he has in the company of Benjamin Nab are masterfully spun like a grand tale. This is the sort of book you pick and don’t want to put down until you’ve turned the last page. Highly recommended.
Power Reviewer Nikki

Two thumbs up!
If you want to remember how it was to pick up a book and read for the sheer pleasure of reading, then read this book! So many novels try to incorporate heavy-handed political agendas or eco-views into the plotline and the story gets bogged down. It was so refreshing to read a great story without all of the "underlying messages". I thoroughly enjoyed The Good Thief and I think you will too!
Power Reviewer Cam

The Good Thief
Oh, wow, The Good Thief is one good book!

Written somewhat in the manner of a Charles Dickens, Tinti writes beautifully with characters, Ren in particular, who wend their way into your hearts.

I recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a really good read!
Michelle

Dickenesque
I was thrilled to find this book took me back to the fairy tales & Grimms Brothers tales of my youth. The characters were wonderful & the tale kept you hooked & waiting to see what happened next! It is fun & easy with all the right light & shadows you need for a story that takes you back in time!

• Book Jacket: New People