MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, plus links to write your own review.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows X

Jul 2008, 288 pages
    May 2009, 304 pages

Kim Kovacs

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Pat

Are you kidding me?
I read a lot of books and enjoy a wide variety of literature so when this book was recommended to me I couldn't wait to get started. I read about 20 pages and realized that I needed to go back and start again because I must have missed something since I was bored and quite lost as to what was going on. I started over again and then stuck it out to page 114 when I realized that NOTHING had happened and I was still bored. I hate to give up on on a book but with limited time to spend reading for leisure, I just couldn't waste one more minute on this one. I don't know what everyone sees in it. I give it a thumbs down!
Gwendolyn

Lacking Substance
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a lighthearted epistolary novel about an author who travels to Guernsey, a British island in the English Channel off the coast of Normandy. The protagonist, Juliet Ashton, is a writer with a warm personality and an adventurous spirit. As Juliet researches her next book about the German occupation of Guernsey during WWII, she befriends the quirky members of a book group on the island. Although The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is charming at times, this book is mostly lacking in substance. The characters are formulaic, and the plot is entirely predictable. A quick and forgettable read.
Becky

Series of Letters
I loved the premise of this book, the setting, the time period and the title. All of these things intrigued me to read and write a review. As I began reading, the exchange of letters expanded to more and more characters. I finally gave up. The reader must do some work to connect the series of letters into a plot. Too much work for this reader.
Xara

Sucky Book
I hated this book it was so boring and had nothing in it that made you want to read it any faster. The only thing that stopped me from stopping half way through was that I had to read it for school. A complete waste of my time.

One-Month Free

Discover books that
entertain, engage & enlighten.

• Book Jacket: The Stone Girl
    The Stone Girl
    by Dirk Wittenborn
    The Stone Girl by Dirk Wittenborn was a hit with our First Impressions reviewers, with 19 out of 21 ...
  • Book Jacket: The Last Train to Key West
    The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton
    The Last Train to Key West by Chanel Cleeton received very positive comments from our First ...
  • Book Jacket: Tokyo Ueno Station
    Tokyo Ueno Station
    by Yu Miri
    Kazu is a ghost, seemingly condemned to haunt one of Japan's busiest train stations, the grounds of ...
    Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win The Wedding Thief

The Wedding Thief
by Mary Simses

Funny, soulful, and as sweet as buttercream, The Wedding Thief is the perfect summer read.

N M Cup O T