Reader reviews and comments on Atmospheric Disturbances, plus links to write your own review.

Atmospheric Disturbances

by Rivka Galchen

Atmospheric Disturbances by Rivka Galchen

May 2008, 256 pages
    Apr 2009, 256 pages

Lucia Silva

There is 1 reader review for Atmospheric Disturbances

Power Reviewer Kim

Exceptionally creative & well-written first novel
This novel isn't your run-of-the-mill missing person mystery. It's a very complex portrait of a man's descent into insanity -- from the viewpoint of the madman who thinks himself sane. Galchen's writing is amazing, and this is a "must-read" for people who simply enjoy good prose. As is indicated by the critical reviews posted elsewhere on Bookbrowse, this novel is sure to garner a lot of praise from those who read books for the writing quality as much as for the plot.

I must say, however, that there will be a large number of readers out there who will not like this book, and I have to admit I'm among them. The protagonist spends a lot of time analyzing his situation, including tying complex scientific priciples to what is going on around him. While interesting, the book's non-linear plot where nothing seems to make sense will frustrate those like myself who prefer a more traditional novel.

So, in short, I think it's a brilliant novel, but in truth not one I enjoyed. 5/5 for the writing; 3/5 for the plot.

• Book Jacket: Rebellion
    by E Lockhart
  • Book Jacket: Jumping at Shadows
    Jumping at Shadows
    by Sasha Abramsky
    In September 2015, fourteen-year old Ahmed Mohamed was thrust into the national spotlight when the ...

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E