MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, plus links to write your own review.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Amy Reading

There are currently 40 reader reviews for The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Sara

A Change in Perspective
Before I read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, big books really weren't my thing. I picked it up because my Aunt was reading it, and once I did I rarely put it down - not during school, on the bus, or at home. Edgar taught me that just because you feel useless, doesn't mean you are. He taught me that being alone can be better for you than not. He taught me that one's self is not always the most important thing, and that letting go is a good thing - but only after you've taken care of everything that needs to be. I passed the book on, so the copy of my Aunt's has been read by people in Maryland, Mexico, Georgia, and New York. If that's not a good book, what is?
jenna

disappointed ending
Despite the disappointing ending I couldn't put the book down. I re-read the last few chapters to make sure I was I hadn't missed something. I felt very sad at the end as there was nothing positive after all of Edgar's hard work. I was in love with all of the Dogs especially Almondine. What a special relationship Edgar had with the dogs.Poor Trudy she endured so much. Just wish things had ended differently.
Gloria Kent

A most satisfying read!
This is not a particularly easy read. It is truly meant for the serious student of the novel. Almost 600 pages. I must admit, it took me the first 40 pages or so before I was truly into it. But, oh my, those pages were so worth the time. This book was one of the most heartfelt, endearing and at the same time tragic stories I have ever read. I will now go back and read it again. This time i will take my time and truly take each word to my heart!
Karlene

The story of Edgar Sawtell
I loved the book. It was well written, had a very unique plot, and interesting characters, even the dogs. Yes it was sad, but so is real life at times. It kept my interest all the way through. And when I finished it, it stayed with me for days.
Phyllis Natanek

In My Top Twenty
I chose this book for our Book Club, having heard the good, the bad and the ugly as far as reviews went. Controversy appeals to me!
I could not stop reading 'Edgar Sawtelle'. I found the writing style quite suited to the book, and quite pleasing to me.
The story's substance was foreshadowed in the Prologue, and this was the first taste of the Elizabethen flavor that seasoned the chapters.
And now I will speak of the dogs. I raised, trained and bred dogs for over 20 years. Large dogs. The 'Sawtelle' dogs are believable, are possible. Breeding for their peculiar area of intelligence is also within the realm of reality.
I do believe that with my background in animal husbandry, a degree in English, a love of Shakespeare, and a senior's life experiences that I got a lot out of this truly magnificent book.
Emily 3

The Beautiful Story!! 3
This story was, I think one of the best,THE best books I have ever read,I am 12 years old and the chapter about Almondine moved me to tears.(And the last chapter.) Sad ending but sort of bitter sweet.This book was very touching and I loved the connection between Edgar, Almondine, and the kennel dogs! I also love how you included everyone's point of view too. Henry was a good person to add into the story as well.JOB WELL DONE!!! Keep writing!!! OH...and please write a sequel!!!
Molly Stevens

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
The book captivated me. The minute I closed the book, I turned it over and reread it. So much more clarity,understanding and appreciation emerged the second time around. I have never had a book affect me as this one did.The author had incredible insight into all the characters' including the dogs points of view!!
SallyAnn

Best Book
This book was the best book I read this year, hands down. I was taken hostage in its pages and hated to be torn from them.

• Book Jacket: Hamnet
    Hamnet
    by Maggie O'Farrell
    William Shakespeare's name is never used in Hamnet — a conspicuous absence around which Maggie...
  • Book Jacket: After the Last Border
    After the Last Border
    by Jessica Goudeau
    According to the United Nations Refugee Agency, the number of displaced people around the world is ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

With or Without You
    by Caroline Leavitt

A moving novel about twists of fate, the shifting terrain of love, and coming into your own.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M