Reader reviews and comments on The Eye of Jade, plus links to write your own review.

The Eye of Jade

A Mei Wang Mystery

by Diane Wei Liang

The Eye of Jade by Diane Wei Liang

Feb 2008, 272 pages
    Apr 2009, 288 pages

Stacey Brownlie

There is 1 reader review for The Eye of Jade

Power Reviewer Kim (03/14/08)

So-so mystery
This book suffers, I think, from trying to do too much. Is it a mystery? Is it a family drama? Is it a portrait of life in China in the early 21st Century? The mystery is very weak, and probably won't satisfy readers looking for a new mystery series. The family drama is somewhat stronger, with the author's characterization of the relationship between her main character & that character's family forming much of the book. The overall feel of the book as being set in modern-day China is perhaps the strongest part, with the author providing glimpses of a China with which most of us in the West are unfamiliar. Liang's writing is beautiful, almost lyrical, and I enjoyed reading this novel from the standpoint of the way Liang strings words together. She also did an excellent job of creating a strong female character with plenty of depth. I think she shows a lot of promise as a writer, and that it's likely her future books will be stronger.

• Book Jacket: Hillbilly Elegy

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

There is no worse robber than a bad book.

O My D B