Reader reviews and comments on Harriet and Isabella, plus links to write your own review.

Harriet and Isabella

by Patricia O'Brien

Harriet and Isabella by Patricia O'Brien

Jan 2008, 320 pages
    Jan 2009, 320 pages

Vy Armour

There is 1 reader review for Harriet and Isabella

Power Reviewer Kim (07/22/08)

Good historical fiction
There were several things that surprised me about this book. The first that struck me was the way the author chose to structure her narrative. Its beginning scenes take place as Henry Beecher is dying, but flashbacks soon take the reader back to the infamous trial and -- flashback within flashback -- to earlier family history. (I found this a bit disturbing at first, but soon got so wrapped up in the various plot-lines I found I no longer cared.)

Surprise #2: Much of the book is back-story with very little to do with the trial or with Henry's death. O'Brien instead concentrates on the lives of Henry's sisters, Isabella and Harriet. While not as compelling as the other two story lines, I found it to be good, solid historical fiction.

Finally, surprise #3: Most of O'Brien's narrative concerns Isabella, the least famous of the three main characters. It was fascinating to read about this amazing woman's life. I was a bit disappointed that so little text was devoted to Harriet Beecher Stowe, as I would have liked to learn more about her as well, but I still found the novel worthwhile.

Overall, I'm glad I read this novel. It provided an entertaining look at a time period about which I know little. I felt it was well-written and well-researched.

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...
  • Book Jacket: Inferno
    Inferno
    by Steven Hatch
    The word "Ebola" sets off an almost visceral reaction in many of us; we think about the men, women ...

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R