Reader reviews and comments on The Pirate's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Pirate's Daughter

Aug 2008, 432 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Pirate's Daughter

Kaley

Fantastic book
This is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read!
I pray the author is writing another book soon.
Kathy

Excellent - didn't want to put it down
I SO enjoyed this book. I thought the premise was intriguing (Errol Flynn fathering a child in Jamaica), although Flynn is not the main character, and actually, comes off as sort of a self-absorbed, pitiful character. the book was rich with details about Jamaica, of which I know little. I always enjoy multi-generational tales, especially ones that take me to another time and place. I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't reading, and didn't want the book to end. I enjoyed the dialogue and even if I didn't like all the characters, I came to care about them. I don't know that I would have picked the book on my own, so I really appreciated the opportunity to read and comment on it.
Deborah

Family and Identity
An imaginative, touching book about love, the longing for family, and the search for identity. Both Ida and May are caught among racial identities (African, Chinese, Caucasian) in the changing Jamaica of the 1960s and beyond. The author portrays perfectly the prickly relationship between mother and daughter, especially Ida's need to protect May. Cezair-Thompson writes beautifully, and she clearly has a mastery of Jamaican dialect and customs. I highly recommend this wonderful novel.
Kathy

Excellent - didn't want to put it down
Sandra

Hooray for Cezair-Thompson
I can hardly wait to hear from Margaret Cezair-Thompson again. I was delighted to read a book in which I enjoyed the main characters. I did not always like what they did but I still liked them The supporting characters lent such a wonderful and sometimes frightening background. This is a book not only about mothers and daughters but parents and children. The choices made always bring unexpected results. This is a real page-turner. Enjoy!
Deb

Just a lovely book!
I would recommend this book to anyone as it has something to offer a reader at many different levels. Family, romance, Hollywood, Jamaica, and the areas where they connect. I was apprehensive about writing a review, but this book made it easy. Please grab a copy!
Phoenix

Movie stars, pirates and treasures, oh, my!
This was a thrilling read. It transports you to Jamaica at the glamorous time of Flynn and Monroe and brings you a vision of a young girl's future. We see May transform from a disillusioned tomboy who never gets a chance to have a relationship with her father to a caring and compasionate young woman.

It is a vacation in Jamaica with a taste of political change and exciting characters. If you are very still, you can feel the breeze and hear the reggae music.

Don't miss this brilliant novel.
Beth

Un-Put-Downable!
I expected to enjoy this book, but it surpassed my highest expectations. This is a FABULOUS read that I will recommend to everyone. The chapters fly by - a compelling story, well-drawn characters, believable dialogue, fantastic sense of place -- all work seamlessly together to make one of the most enjoyable books in a long, long time. Bravo to Margaret Cezair-Thompson for a real treasure. Grab this one and enjoy!

A Short History of Jamaica

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...
  • Book Jacket: Caste
    Caste
    by Isabel Wilkerson
    In 2020, the word "racist" remains taboo. Conceptually, racism is so culturally unacceptable, so ...
  • Book Jacket: The Deepest South of All
    The Deepest South of All
    by Richard Grant
    Author Richard Grant frequently uses his wanderlust to explore diverse stories that create a complex...
  • Book Jacket: Piranesi
    Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke
    Our First Impressions readers were delighted with this speculative novel by Susanna Clarke, her ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

Where the Light Enters
by Sara Donati

An enthralling epic about two trailblazing female doctors in 19th century New York.

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R