MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The View from Mount Joy, plus links to write your own review.

The View from Mount Joy

by Lorna Landvik

The View from Mount Joy

Sep 2007, 368 pages
    Sep 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The View from Mount Joy

Donna (09/20/07)

A Great View
This book offers plenty of the good stuff of life -- joy, surprises, laughter, deep and enduring relationships. Much like life, it also has some loss, grief and disappointment. In all, it's a celebration of an ordinary life lived authentically and a reminder that, if you're looking for the right things, the view is pretty good. I highly recommend this book!
Rachelle (09/20/07)

Enjoyable View
Having never read any of Lorna Landvik's books I was unsure what to expect from The View From Mount Joy. What I found was a great read that made me both laugh and cry and characters that were thoroughly enjoyable to read about. I would highly recommend this book to others.
Dorothy (09/20/07)

Bloom Where You are Planted
Lorna Landvik is a wonderful funny writer who turns the lives of ordinary people, playing the hand life deals them with grace and humor, into stories that you don't want to end. In The View From Mount Joy she gives us Joe Andreson, the son, the friend and, ultimately, the husband that everyone would like to have. And contrasting with Joe we have Kirsti Casey - the high school star who confuses power with joy. This is a heart warming, often laugh out loud, visit with people you'd like to know - I certainly would like to grocery shop with them.
Eileen (09/20/07)

A good View
I would recommend this book to my friends. It is chick lit but the story was good and kept me interested.The story brought up issues about leading a responsible life versus a selfish life.The main character, Joe, was very engaging and fun to follow.
Madeline (09/20/07)

A Nice Read
I enjoyed this novel overall. It felt a little long, and it didn't grip me as much as I'd hoped it would, but it was a nice read about how a "quiet" life can also be a full one.
Jean (09/20/07)

A fun and quick read
This was an easy book to read and an enjoyable one. Some of it rang very true, especially the parts about living in a small community. However, I thought the resolutions of some of the situations were a little too pat. That being said, there were some very imaginative touches. I especially enjoyed reading about the grocery store contests!
Carolyn (09/20/07)

Enjoyable read
Overall I really enjoyed this book. I found the plot with Kristi a little hard to believe though. Joe was a very likable character and I cared what happened to him from the beginning. This would be a great book club read; there are subjects in the book that would provoke lots if interesting discussion.
Catherine (09/20/07)

The passing of time
I did enjoy this book on what I call the the passing of time from teenager years up to adulthood. This book is definitively not a "thriller" book, no big surprises just life as it goes. My only criticism is the Kristi character is not a believable one as she turns into a preacher and other "presidential" adventures, does not ring "true" to me.
Otherwise, as always, another good book by Mrs. Lorna Landvik.

• Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...
  • Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun