Reader reviews and comments on The View from Mount Joy, plus links to write your own review.

The View from Mount Joy

by Lorna Landvik

The View from Mount Joy

Sep 2007, 368 pages
    Sep 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 24 reader reviews for The View from Mount Joy

Julie (09/20/07)

A great book for bookclubs!
Having never read a Lorna Landvik book, I wasn't sure what to expect from The View From Mount Joy. What I found was a great book with so many wonderful characters. This would be a fabulous choice for any bookclub due to the complexities of the characters. There would be so much to talk about.

After reading this one, I plan to read more of Lorna Landvik!
Loren (09/20/07)

Visit with old friends
This is one of those books that make you forget that you're reading. It's more like a visit from people you've known a long time who have come back to tell you how life's been going for them.
Jennifer (09/20/07)

The view from this mount was mediocre
Lorna Ladnvik developed the story around the universal truth that life never turns out the way you expect. As always, her writing is filled with unexpected, delightful description and insight. This time, however, her characters failed to capture my heart. I did not connect to the characters, so for me, the emotion of the plot felt false and contrived. Reactions to the book, within a group, will most likely be quite diverse, so with mild reservation, I would recommend it for a book club selection.
Kristen (09/20/07)

I had a preconceived notion in my mind when I began reading this book that it would be a story that would bring only tears to my eyes for its sappiness. I was wrong; this story is full of surprises as well as tear jerking moments and a delightful read. I think it would definitely be a good pick for a book club because it explores life in all its glories and darkness that everyone has experienced at one time or another and it’s written without the tiptoeing around to avoid offending those that are ultra sensitive.
Power Reviewer Joan (09/20/07)

It's a joy
As a Lorna Landvik fan I looked forward to reading her new book. I wasn't disappointed. Once again she deals with ordinary people from the heartland. The plot is well developed and character driven. It takes a promising man's life down an unexpected path from high school to middle age. Along the way you get to know his family, friends, their hopes, dreams, and disappointments. I would recommend this book to any reader regardless of age.
Kimberly (09/20/07)

Reading Adventure!
What a delightful reading adventure! The journey through Joe's life will trigger a wide range of emotions for the reader--from despair to hope, from fear to triumph, from desolation to joy. Multi-dimensional characters and a plot rich with both ordinary and unique experiences make this Landvik novel an excellent choice for anyone who wants a "good read."
Deborah (09/20/07)

Another heartwarming and humorous book by Lorna Landvik
Anyone who has enjoyed Lorna Landvik books in the past will delight in her latest offering. The View From Mount Joy includes Lorna's trademark combination of a heartwarming story mixed with humor. And, as a baby boomer, her depiction of high school life in the 1970's brought back a lot of memories for me.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a well-written story with plenty of substance to it; I think it would be an excellent choice for a book club.
Joyce (09/20/07)

Fun, Endearing and a Fast Read
This is not the kind of book I usually pick up and read, I've never read Lorna Landvik before. BUT I have to say I'm so glad I did. This book makes you laugh, cry and just holds your interest, I could hardly put it down. Joe is such an endearing character, you find yourself rooting for him at every turn in his life. The way the story evolves is just right. I highly recommend it to young and old - it does have some language and events of a sexual nature so keep that in mind (but they are in the context of the book so don't seem out of line). Do yourself a favor and curl up with this book, you'll be glad you did.

• Book Jacket: The Mothers
    The Mothers
    by Brit Bennett
    by Tom Jackson
  • Book Jacket: Mercury
    by Margot Livesey
    Margot Livesey explores the moneyed suburbs of Boston and creates a modern morality tale chronicling...

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.