MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on A Long Way Gone, plus links to write your own review.

A Long Way Gone

Aug 2008, 240 pages

There are currently 19 reader reviews for A Long Way Gone

hi

my review
I love this book!!! Ishmael is such a great person
Karissa

WOW!!!
this book is amazing and so... i don't even know how to explain it! What really amazed me was the fact that this is happening. I didn't even realize that these things are happening in our world today! I recommend this book to ANYONE! The way he explains the things he sees and how he just loses everything really gets to me. I've already read this book twice. I would have never read this book if it wasn't for my English teacher. I'm glad I did though.

WOW
WOW! i never thought this book would be like this. I thought it was going to be another boring one that we read in high school but it's not. ANyone who thinks about not reading this book shouldn't, they just need to read it. No option. READ IT! you'll be glad you did.
Alec Nassirzadeh

A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier Book Review
“A Long Way Gone Memoirs of a Boy Soldier” is written by Ishmael Beah. This book is an inspirational truthful story about Ishmael Beah and his difficult childhood. Our book club group’s first impression of the book was that it is a vicious and brutal book by looking at the cover of the book. This book is also written with a lot of power and emotion.
   Ishmael Beah, the author of this book was born on November 23, 1980 in Mattru Jong, Sierra Leone and his nationality is Sierra Leonean. His occupation right now is a Human Rights Activist. Beah doesn’t have any other books out besides “A Long Way Gone”. He won a Young Adult Award for this book which meets the criteria of both good quality literature and appealing reading teens.
   Ishmael was a brainwashed child soldier participating in a revolution that killed his family. He kills many rebels and he uses the excuse that they killed his family. He goes through the hardship of his young life and you will see if he makes it through it.
   “A Long Way Gone”, is written in first person. The genre of this book is a memoir and it was published on February 15, 2007. This book is about four years old and the events that happen in the book are still happening to this day. This book has very good style to it because it accurately paints a picture in your head about the events that happen in Beah’s life. When our book club read it we all felt like we were actually in the book traveling with Beah throughout his journey.
   Our book club enjoyed this book because it was written in a very specific and real way. This book also left us hanging after each chapter which made us want to read more. We recommend this book to people who like action and actual reality. The actual reality in this book is the child soldier problems which are still happening in other countries. All in all, our group thinks this book is great, and we recommend other people to read this story about Ishmael Beah and his rough life growing up.
deedee

Wonderful
i thought that this book was extremely awesome. It was a little on the graphic side but not to much for me to handle. I recommend this book to everyone alive.
sexy_lil_thinq

This book is great
This book is very interesting. Even though it goes back and forth with the past and present its still great...It's a very emotional/touching book..I would recommend this book to many people based on my experience with it
momo

an asowme eye opener
i have not quiet finished the book. I'm just now starting chapter 18, but this book has opened up a lot in my mind and has helped me explore the life a boy would live in Africa. I have gotten so into this book that there are times I end up walking down the street on my way home with my nose in the book. this book is most definitely a school project gone right. it helps me escape my world, to enter another. With vibrant details and the concrete settings, I would definitely recomend this for a good read and have already done so to at the very least to 5 people.
shottaboy

this book is awesome!
This is an excellent book there is so much to say about to

It is a well written book and explains and create an image of what kids my age goes through around the world.

• Book Jacket: A Dredging in Swann
    A Dredging in Swann
    by Tim Garvin
    A Dredging in Swann, set in fictional Swann County, North Carolina, centers around fresh-out-of-the-...
  • Book Jacket: The Black Cathedral
    The Black Cathedral
    by Marcial Gala
    Marcial Gala's The Black Cathedral, translated from the Spanish by Anna Kushner, is narrated through...
  • Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

The Splendid and the Vile
    by Erik Larson

A fresh and compelling portrait of Winston Churchill and London during the Blitz.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I