Reader reviews and comments on The Memory Keeper's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

by Kim Edwards

Jun 2005, 416 pages
    May 2006, 432 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Paige (01/06/09)

Hmm
I'm fourteen years old, and yet I still enjoyed this book every much. Now I'm not a big fan of books but to see the children growing up, and everything that happened in life, was truly memorizing. I'm looking forward to read some more of her books.
Les (04/10/08)

saccharin laden
Edwards was clearly a high distinction creative writing student who was noted for her ability to use adjectives – not her ability to tell a story. “The Memory Keeper’s Daughter” is an exercise in the unbearable overuse of saccharin laden reflections and descriptions. Instead of getting on with the story Edwards creates a world that is largely “soft” and contains events that regularly occurred when the bees buzzed in the sycamores. Give me a break! If ever a novel needed a good editor this is it.
Davine (02/18/08)

Pleasantly Impressed
When I read the back of the book I was not sure if I would enjoy the story, but I must say that I did. There were some confusing parts, and the plot did jump around some at times, but I did truly enjoy reading it. I do wish there had been more written about Pheobe, and how her life evolved after she was sent away with Caroline. There was so much focus on Paul, but not so much on her. But overall, I think Ms. Edwards did a wonderful job on her first novel, and I would read more of her books for sure.
Laura (01/10/08)

the bottom three
The premise of this book was intriguing; the execution was dreadful. The best part of this book was the appropriate picture on the cover. The sentence structure is atrocious. It isn't just confusing; it is crazy. At first I overlooked the inconsistencies in the plot but by page 65, I just gave up trying to follow who was where when because that would change in the next paragraph or the next page.

An example: On their first anniversary, Paul is at his aunt's house to spend the night but later that same evening, David and Norah go upstairs and look at him sleeping in his crib. Another example is Paul's run from home: she says he ran 10 blocks and then when he is at the police station, she says he stole the car 3 blocks from home. Did he turn around? The entire book is like this.

What orchestra has a guitar as one of the instruments? None that I have ever seen. Why didn't he play a violin or some other appropriate orchestral instrument?

Her overuse and misuse of colons is incredible. Most of those could be eliminated by better sentence structure. I could not believe I read "sight" when Caroline visited the accident "site."

I have read hundreds of novels. This one is one of the three worst ones I ever read.
ann (01/05/08)

The Memory Keeper's Daughter
What I thought was going to be a wonderful book
turned out to just "so-so". The title and the
premise of the book roped me in, but midway I
was beginning to lose interest. I had to make
myself finish it and all the while I was hoping it
would gather momentum again but of course,it
never did.

She's way too wordy and I got so sick of her whining
over her lost daughter. Enough already, we got the point!!!
Deanne (11/16/07)

Truely compassionate!
Personally I view this book differently than others-- Something I find very interesting about the human mind is that everyone views things differently. And just because you may not like it, someone else might, and may affect them in some way that may be life- changing. Because if you are a true lover of books, then you'd step back and realize that maybe it's not our opinion that matters only; it's everyone's. INCLUDING THE AUTHOR.

I truly enjoyed this book, and found the characters very interesting. At times there were confusing parts, and not exactly the best sentence skills; but I honestly thought that if you have a true understanding of emotion and feelings, then you'd enjoy this. I've always been intrigued by "the web of lies", and how it really and truly affects people's lives in an immense way. This book is definitely one to take a look at; not a "time waster", but a great way to keep your life in perspective on how really blessed we can be.
Mary (11/01/07)

Unimaginative Ending
I enjoyed this book through the half-way point. I agree with some of the other reviewers that there were some parts that were clumsy, but I was willing to go along with the story because I enjoyed the author's style. But the second half was just lazy writing. Spoiler alert: I guess the author didn't know what to do with her characters, so she killed off the father and married the mother to a guy from France. Give me a break!
Katarina (10/09/07)

The memory keepers daughter
I really thought this book was going to be a good one not that it isn't, but it took me a real long time to read it. The whole process of the chapters and how they were set up was one of the things I didn't like about this book. I feel as if the author did not provide enough interesting parts in this book as i would have expected she would. It was too long of a read to get to the next interesting part of the novel. The whole time I felt like I was reading way to slow and couldn't help but to read slow. The novel isn't bad but something about it lags.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All