MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Memory Keeper's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

by Kim Edwards

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Jun 2005, 416 pages
    May 2006, 432 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Anne O'Connor (11/27/06)

Distractions Detract
This author describes how the premise of the story was given her by someone she respected. I really wanted this story to be credible because of encounters with stories that I have had myself.
There are tangents (Rosemary, Michelle, art shows and curators, Frederic, Bree) that add nothing and even trivialize the powerful theme of the rejection of a disabled child. There is perfectionism eating away at every character except Phoebe and I cannot help but think that the author projected this trait of our current culture on people of a different time.
Mandy (10/22/06)

Do you like plot or are you a character reader?
I firmly believe that there are some people who lean more toward reading for "plot" than they do for the characters. I am a character person. I like to read and develop a relationship with the characters in the book. I want to get to know them...to understand them.

Kim Edwards did make a few mistakes in the novel; however, if you are someone who reads for character development, I think she did an excellent job. You may not like where she takes the characters at times but you will find yourself up late at night waiting to find out.

I give this book a "B" and suggest you add it to your reading list : )
Anne (10/21/06)

Very Disappointing
The premise of the novel seemed a little shaky from the outset. There was no birth certificate or death certificate issued. Yet there seemed to be no problem registering the child for school or for any other service she needed . At the moment of birth, the father (doctor) makes an split second incredible decision to put the child away, although he could not have known just how severly or mildly the child was affected. It seemed a bit unrealistic to say the least. The characters appeared very wooden. And of course, when the nurse takes the child, she immediately meets the big hearted truck driver. Enough said!
Peggy D (10/01/06)

Emotionless
The book should have been powerful! A great story, but the characters were emotionless. I gave it a B-. The correct spelling of the disease, the highlight of the book, is Down Syndrome, not Down's Syndrome. A hearty disappointment.

Do No Harm
    by Henry Marsh
    British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh might already be familiar as the subject of the Emmy-winning ...
  • Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...

A Certain Age
    by Beatriz Williams

The Roaring Twenties comes to life in this tale of intrigue, romance, and scandal.

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q