MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on The Memory Keeper's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

by Kim Edwards

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Jun 2005, 416 pages
    May 2006, 432 pages

There are currently 36 reader reviews for The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Anne O'Connor (11/27/06)

Distractions Detract
This author describes how the premise of the story was given her by someone she respected. I really wanted this story to be credible because of encounters with stories that I have had myself.
There are tangents (Rosemary, Michelle, art shows and curators, Frederic, Bree) that add nothing and even trivialize the powerful theme of the rejection of a disabled child. There is perfectionism eating away at every character except Phoebe and I cannot help but think that the author projected this trait of our current culture on people of a different time.
Mandy (10/22/06)

Do you like plot or are you a character reader?
I firmly believe that there are some people who lean more toward reading for "plot" than they do for the characters. I am a character person. I like to read and develop a relationship with the characters in the book. I want to get to know them...to understand them.

Kim Edwards did make a few mistakes in the novel; however, if you are someone who reads for character development, I think she did an excellent job. You may not like where she takes the characters at times but you will find yourself up late at night waiting to find out.

I give this book a "B" and suggest you add it to your reading list : )
Anne (10/21/06)

Very Disappointing
The premise of the novel seemed a little shaky from the outset. There was no birth certificate or death certificate issued. Yet there seemed to be no problem registering the child for school or for any other service she needed . At the moment of birth, the father (doctor) makes an split second incredible decision to put the child away, although he could not have known just how severly or mildly the child was affected. It seemed a bit unrealistic to say the least. The characters appeared very wooden. And of course, when the nurse takes the child, she immediately meets the big hearted truck driver. Enough said!
Peggy D (10/01/06)

Emotionless
The book should have been powerful! A great story, but the characters were emotionless. I gave it a B-. The correct spelling of the disease, the highlight of the book, is Down Syndrome, not Down's Syndrome. A hearty disappointment.

• Book Jacket: All Tomorrow's Parties
    All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: The Never-Open Desert Diner
    The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
  • Book Jacket: The Vanishing Velazquez
    The Vanishing Velazquez
    by Laura Cumming
    Author Laura Cumming spins out a tale of obsession and ruin in her latest book, The Vanishing Vel&#...
Win The 100 Year Miracle

50 Copies to Give Away!

The 100 Year Miracle is a rich, enthralling novel, full of great characters.

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

H Now B C?