Reader reviews and comments on In The Company of the Courtesan, plus links to write your own review.

In The Company of the Courtesan

by Sarah Dunant

In The Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant

Feb 2006, 384 pages
    Feb 2007, 392 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for In The Company of the Courtesan

Power Reviewer Kim

Exceptional historical fiction
I have to admit the only reason I picked up "Courtesan" was because it was a Bookbrowse "Favorite Book Nominee" for 2006, and I'd had very good luck with the site's recommendations. Once I actually received the book, however, I was convinced I'd made a mistake (yes, I DO tend to judge books by their covers). I was very concerned this would be a sappy romance, or historically inaccurate, or yet another mediocre novel based on an author's imagined story behind a famous painting. I am very happy to say I was dead wrong, and once again Bookbrowse was on the money.

Historical fiction novels can be rich on characterizations, but skimp on details of time or place. They can also contain so much detail that the reader ends up skipping paragraphs (or even pages) out of boredom. "Courtesan" walks the fine line between those two extremes. The reader is transported to 16th-century Venice, with all its sights and smells and sounds, but the author's descriptions are never so protracted that the reader loses interest. Her characters feel like real people -- people who have mixed motives, who make mistakes. I came to care for them deeply, and was sorry to leave them behind when the book ended. The plot also moves along at a nice clip.

This is one book I'll be recommending to my reading friends. (Even the guys.)
lisa

i didn't want it to end...
This was one of those rare books that left you longing for more after it was over. my sister recommended the book to me and said "I am jealous of you that you are going to be reading it for the first time". After finishing it, I understood what she meant.

• Book Jacket: The Ninth Hour

The Twelve-Mile Straight
    by Eleanor Henderson

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E