Reader reviews and comments on The March, plus links to write your own review.

The March

by E.L. Doctorow

The March by E.L. Doctorow

Sep 2005, 384 pages
    Sep 2006, 384 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The March

Peter (09/27/12)

well worth the walk
I normally avoid "faction" - fact mixed with fiction - but having come across "The March" in a hotels library of left behind books I thought I,d give it a go, especially as I´ve been a Civil War buff for a long time and been involved in the re - enactment hobby. I really enjoyed Doctorrow´s narrative and found it vivid and evocative - Kevin Costner should buy the film rights if he hasn't done so already. After an uncertain start , the characters hauled me aboard their wagon and took me along with them. I could feel the author warming to his theme and researched into the lives of people like Judson Kilpatrick, but I wished he'd let a Civil War specialist check out the factual details - I didn't know an Enfield musketoon was a repeater? or that a platoon was a Civil War unit or that at the war's end a character could give thanks to the Grand Army of the Republic, the post war veterans organization...
jerrod (08/15/10)

Slow
An interesting look on the civil war's participants. It's full of emotions, sometimes leaving the reader feeling empathetic. However, it was incapable of making me want to read more which made it confusing and a slow read.
Jane (03/09/08)

Lacks depth
Doctorow's reading style is clear, but that's about the best thing I'd say about The March. The book is filled with cliches, the characters are unremarkable, and the plot predictable. A saving grace is the comic relief provided by the characters Will and Arly, but beyond that the characters are caricatures. General Sherman has a profound moment in the book when he waxes philosophical, but the rest of the portrayal of Sherman is not very interesting. Better books to read concerning the Civil War or the South during the period of slavery are March by Geraldine Brooks or Cane River by Letitia Tademy. Both have fine stories and are worthy of your time.
Marcia Fine (01/28/07)

Another Perspective on the Civil War
Doctorow does a great job weaving Sherman's march with some memorable characters. He made it an easy history lesson with great literary style. It's clear who's side he's on; however, he elicits sympathy for the Southern point of view. We chose it for our book group and I anticipate discussion that parallels today's current events.

• Book Jacket: Wonderful Feels Like This
    Wonderful Feels Like This
    by Sara Lovestam
  • Book Jacket: Blue Light Yokohama
    Blue Light Yokohama
    by Nicolas Obregon
    Blue Light Yokohama, Nicolás Obregón's crime fiction debut, takes place in an exotic ...
  • Book Jacket: Inferno
    Inferno
    by Steven Hatch
    The word "Ebola" sets off an almost visceral reaction in many of us; we think about the men, women ...

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

The Book of Summer
    by Michelle Gable

The bestselling author of The Paris Apartment, Michelle Gable now transports readers to Nantucket.

Win The Chalk Pit

The Chalk Pit:
A Ruth Galloway Mystery

A string of murders takes Ruth underground in the newest book in the series.

T W Don't M A R