MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Cover The Butter, plus links to write your own review.

Cover The Butter

May 2006, 368 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Cover The Butter

Elizabeth Day

Whoopee for Kate
I imagined this book would last me well into my short trip to Paris but I'd read it before I even arrived, which just shows how Kate's story grabbed me.

Carrie Kabak is an illustrator as well as a painter and her artist's eye illuminated this book. Readers feel the scenes, rather than simply read them.

From the opening scene right until the time Kate reaches the end of her story I was completely, utterly and passionately rooting for her.
Danielle Schaaf

Cover The Butter
Carrie Kabak’s Cover The Butter is a wonderful and engaging read! Characters are richly drawn and they pulled all of my emotional strings: first empathy for Kate, later triumph; distaste, scorn and, ultimately, pity for Biddy, her mother; disdain for her father’s penchant to stand too far in the shadows; and disgust for her loser husband, Rodney. Kabak’s snappy dialogue and attention to detail drew me in to Cover the Butter and her warm, witty storytelling kept me glued to the book until the last page – which I finished hours after starting, not days! Cover The Butter is an excellent book to cuddle up with in bed at night or stretched out with on a summer chaise. I strongly recommend it!
Susan Jeffrey

Not Just
What sets this book apart from much of the "chick lit" genre is that it describes in detail the abuse suffered by a girl at the hands of her mother, and shows how this abuse affected the choices she made as a young woman. I do feel this book would be a good choice for a book group looking for an easy read about a not-so-easy subject. It could lead into a serious discussion of mother-daughter relationships: the messages we got from our mothers and the messages we give our daughters.
Marie-Jeanne Trauth

Cover the Butter
Kate's mother always reminded her husband to cover the butter before lighting his post-supper cigarette. Kate--like so many women of her time--took this advice to heart and covered her personality to be the person others expected her to be. I cheered when she finally decided to take charge of her own life and began the process of divorcing her husband.

A great summer read that kept me up until 4:30 a.m. the night I read it.
Donna Nelson

Cover the Butter
A quick and easy read - good for book clubs just getting started and for those who need a break from heavier reading material. Cover the Butter is believable ... a little predictable ... and touches on many topics that are common among women. How much do we please others at the expense of self? How do we dig out what is buried in order to live our lives?
Fran Shuster

Cover the Butter
An enjoyable "summer read". As I read Carrie Kabak's words, it gave me a "peek" into a someone else's lifestyle, a family that is real. It is enjoyable to travel back through a family's "history" and see how they arrive at today.
Jan Stephens

Chic Lit for Baby Boomers
A surprisingly delightful read which I have highly recommended to fellow readers and book club members!
This was an engaging tale of an only child growing up with dysfunctional parents and the resulting affects throughout her adult life.
Erica Minchella

Cover the Butter
This was a enjoyable, easy read. The book was somewhat reminiscent of "Bridget Jone's Diary" without the narrator's ability to poke fun at herself - although, not being as humerous did not make it any less enjoyable. The characters were well-drawn and the frustrations were real, both easy to relate to. This would be a great book club read as there is some real depth to the dilemna of Kate's decisions and her interactions with the other characters which would lead to a great discussion.

• Book Jacket: After the Last Border
    After the Last Border
    by Jessica Goudeau
    According to the United Nations Refugee Agency, the number of displaced people around the world is ...
  • Book Jacket: Crossings
    Crossings
    by Alex Landragin
    Crossings is a beautiful, if slightly messy, time-bending debut. It reads like a vampire novel, sans...
  • Book Jacket: Pew
    Pew
    by Catherine Lacey
    A quote often attributed to Leo Tolstoy states that "All great literature is one of two stories; a ...
  • Book Jacket: Waiting for an Echo
    Waiting for an Echo
    by Christine Montross
    Dr. Christine Montross had been a practicing psychiatrist for nearly a decade when she decided to ...

Hieroglyphics
    by Jill McCorkle

A mesmerizing novel about piecing together the hieroglyphics of history and memory.

With or Without You
    by Caroline Leavitt

A moving novel about twists of fate, the shifting terrain of love, and coming into your own.

Every Bone a Prayer
by Ashley Blooms

The the story of one tough-as-nails girl whose choices are few but whose fight is boundless.

Win Every Bone a Prayer

Every Bone a Prayer by Ashley Blooms

A beautifully honest exploration of healing and of hope.

T Real M