Reader reviews and comments on Kira-Kira, plus links to write your own review.

by Cynthia Kadohata

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata X
Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata

Feb 2004, 256 pages
    Jan 2007, 272 pages

There are currently 35 reader reviews for Kira-Kira

B (02/09/10)

Very Well Written.
Lynn has a special ability to teach Katie to look past tomorrow, teach her how to view the world, why people stop and stare on the street, and why everything is Kira-Kira. This should be the most touching, emotion-touching, heartbreaking book to cross a mind.
R. Spooner (10/19/09)

Kira-Kira
The Takeshima family experiences several life changing events that turns their world upside down as they are forced to move from a Japanese community in Iowa to southern Georgia in the 1950's. The inseparable sisters, Lynn and Katie, discover the world through friendship, dreams, poverty, and discrimination; but the love that bonds them together remains unbroken as their family life is interrupted by an addition to the family and a change in their parent's employment conditions which allows less time for the children and more required time at work. When Lynn is struck with a terminal illness, Katie is forced to change her role as the little sister and begin caring for Lynn. She struggles to remember what Lynn had taught her, to view the simple things in life as glittering "kira-kira".

This book is an excellent piece of literature for fifth through middle school aged students to experience. The themes of love, hope, death, and discrimination provide the reader with opportunity to explore life through a young Japanese girl's eyes as she attempts to hold her family together during the struggles of life. This book will touch the hearts of viewers as the Takeshima family learns to appreciate the little things in life.
Alex Ecker (09/28/09)

Kira-Kira
Kira-Kira was a very touching novel. The story really came out and flew through my eyes and ears as if it was a butterfly that had nothing to worry about. Kira-Kira reached out and in the last 30 or so pages really came down hard. I would never have thought that it would have ended like that. The ending was emotional, but it fit the story.
Margaret (06/23/09)

The Best Book
This book was brilliant! I was so real and built on real emotions of a teenage girl. The book was so heartbreaking you feel like crying: crying for the main character, her sister, and the rest of the family. This book is absolutely touching.
guggu (06/06/09)

Kira-Kira
This book is a heartwarming and touching story about a girl who loses her sibling and learns to fend for herself.
Corrina Mckay (05/21/09)

Great Story Line
Katie is only about ten when her sister gets very ill and dies when she is fourteen. Her dear sister Lynn has taught her how to see the world as Kira-kira (glittering/ shining there is always a positive side), even though things might turn for the worst.

This heart warming story will help youth who have had to deal with a family member or friend's death.

Cynthia Kadohata has created believable characters and especially Katie Takahama. The reader sees from Katie's perspective, even though she may not thoroughly understand what is going on. Katie is a person who many other people can relate to.
anna<3:) (10/23/08)

stupendous book!!
The rating for this review says five stars, but to me, this book deserves 20 stars. I absolutely adore this book! In this book I laughed, I cried, and I was wanting more. Katie looked up to her sister Lynn. To Katie, Lynn was the greatest person in the world. Then, Lynn becomes diagnosed with lymphoma. Lynn can barely move or eat. Katie and her family have to take care of her. Being a Japanese family in the 1950's, life isn't always easy. Katie's mother works at a factory, and her father works at a hatchery. My teacher made us read this book, and I'm not a big fan of reading, so of course I was dreading it. Then, I got hooked to this book. I would highly recomend this book for any reader, young, or old.
marissa (07/02/08)

It was pretty good
This was a very good book but I have read better. this book makes you realize that you don't appreciate something unless its gone so if you have someone in your life that is very close and dear to you go up and say thank you or I love you butIi had to read this book for school and its pretty good.

• Book Jacket: Timekeepers
  • Book Jacket: Mothers of Sparta
    Mothers of Sparta
    by Dawn Davies
    What it's about:
    The tagline on the back cover of Mothers of Sparta says it all: "Some women...
  • Book Jacket: Fortress America
    Fortress America
    by Elaine Tyler May

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck

Force of Nature
    by Jane Harper

A riveting, tension-driven thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Dry.

As Bright as Heaven
    by Susan Meissner

A story of a family reborn through loss and love in Philadelphia during the flu epidemic of 1918.

There is no science without fancy and no art without fact

G O T P, B The P, F T P