What readers think of Outside Valentine, plus links to write your own review.

Outside Valentine

Aug 2005, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Outside Valentine

Diana

Astounding!
This is a story that reached out and touched my heart. I cried, laughed, was frightened, and felt love with this book. Ward really knew what she was writing. This book was exhilarating to the mind and to the soul. Reading this book was the best thing I've done and accomplished in my life so far. I would read this book over and over again. Bravo!
Jenna Blum

I was the fiction editor at AGNI magazine when an excerpt from Liza Ward's OUTSIDE VALENTINE crossed my desk, and it raised the goosebumps on my arm that signify a true and unusual new talent. I told my senior editor that we had to snap up the story--one of the segments of the novel featuring Caril Ann Fugate's voice--right away, and he agreed--but it was too late. Luckily, Ms. Ward gave us another excerpt, which we did publish. I was delighted to see the novel subsequently appear and receive such superlative reviews, which it certainly deserves. Caril Ann in particular, with her extraordinary diction and painful wistfulness, is a marvel of a character. As a novelist myself, I take my hat off to Liza Ward & will be watching eagerly for her next book.
Albert Goldbarth

THis book has a tendency toward the not only melodramatic, but simplified understanding of lower class America that stems from obvious wealth. I think the author has obviously driven a hard point home about research: It doesn't always pay to know the facts if the knowledge of human experience is one which cannot hear the pulse of its character. Risk sentimentality, one poet said, or you're not risking anything.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

The War Librarian
    by Addison Armstrong
    Emmaline Balakin believes in the power of the written word — books have changed her life. When...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!