Reader reviews and comments on Mao's Last Dancer, plus links to write your own review.

by Li Cunxin

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin X
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Mar 2004, 444 pages
    Mar 2005, 480 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Mao's Last Dancer

Emily

Mao's Last Dancer
I loved this book! I had to read and review it as my course of prejudice and persecution and as soon as I finished it I bought my own copy :) Very inspirational and a fantastic read.
GG

Mao's Last Dancer
Mao's Last Dancer is a fantastic book. It is about a young boy who lives in a family with 6 brothers, in poverty in China, and Cunxin, his name, is chosen, when he is 11, to be part of the Beijing Dance Academy. He takes this chance, and studies ballet, as well as school subjects, there, for 5 years. He goes to America, but there, marries and defects, despite worrying about his family, in poverty, back in China. He later re-marries, and moves to Melbourne, in Australia. Mao's Last Dancer is a book that is hard to put down. It portrays a story of a small boy, who has followed his dreams, and persisted, and they have come true. I highly recommend this read to anyone of any age.
Elmo

Mao's Last Dancer
Cool book! Everyone should read it! OR ELSE!!
Kathryn

Great Book Club Selection
The book was a fascinating read! What a captivating true story about the amazing talent, strength and courage of a young boy from China. The book discussion group I lead will enjoy it and the topic will generate good discussion. What a great book to put into the hands of teens for insight into the freedoms they experience and may take for granted.
My House Smells Like Grandma

My House Smells Like Grandma's Review
I absolutely loved this book and was entranced from the moment I started reading. Li's story is absolutely incredible and inspirational, this book truly represents "Beating the Odds."
Eric Tan

Awesome Book
Such an excellent book!!! Seems like an unbelievable story come true. Read it immediately!
Naomi

Maos Last Dancer ?
This book is absolutely amazing. You cannot put it down. I would say to myself just one more chapter and it would turn out to be 12 more chapters.
This is my favorite book of all time and I love it. I have read it so many times its very inspiring to me because I am a dancer myself.

Best book. You have to read it !! :))
Jeremy Wein

Mao's Last Dancer
I think that this book is motivational and inspiring. Even though i am only 10 years old, it was an extremely quick read. I simply could not put it down. i felt as if I was taken into Li Cunxin's world. I recommend this book for anyone who wants an amazing read.

La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...
  • Book Jacket: Conviction
    Conviction
    by Denise Mina
    Scottish author Denise Mina's latest novel, Conviction, is a fast-paced thriller narrated by Anna, a...
    Dread Nation
    by Justina Ireland
    The war between the states is over and, instead, a very different battle is being waged for the ...
  • Book Jacket: Costalegre
    Costalegre
    by Courtney Maum
    The year is 1937 and Hitler is gaining stronger sway over Europe. Chief among the Führer's ...

Ellie and the Harpmaker
    by Hazel Prior

A rich, heartwarming and charming debut novel about finding love in unexpected places.

Book Club
America for Beginners
by Leah Franqui

A poignant debut that explores unlikely friendships forged in unusual circumstances.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Crudo

Crudo by Olivia Laing

A brilliant, funny, and emphatically raw novel of love on the brink of the apocalypse.

S A A B In A R