MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Mao's Last Dancer, plus links to write your own review.

by Li Cunxin

Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin X
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

Mar 2004, 444 pages
    Mar 2005, 480 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Mao's Last Dancer

Emily

Mao's Last Dancer
I loved this book! I had to read and review it as my course of prejudice and persecution and as soon as I finished it I bought my own copy :) Very inspirational and a fantastic read.
GG

Mao's Last Dancer
Mao's Last Dancer is a fantastic book. It is about a young boy who lives in a family with 6 brothers, in poverty in China, and Cunxin, his name, is chosen, when he is 11, to be part of the Beijing Dance Academy. He takes this chance, and studies ballet, as well as school subjects, there, for 5 years. He goes to America, but there, marries and defects, despite worrying about his family, in poverty, back in China. He later re-marries, and moves to Melbourne, in Australia. Mao's Last Dancer is a book that is hard to put down. It portrays a story of a small boy, who has followed his dreams, and persisted, and they have come true. I highly recommend this read to anyone of any age.
Elmo

Mao's Last Dancer
Cool book! Everyone should read it! OR ELSE!!
Kathryn

Great Book Club Selection
The book was a fascinating read! What a captivating true story about the amazing talent, strength and courage of a young boy from China. The book discussion group I lead will enjoy it and the topic will generate good discussion. What a great book to put into the hands of teens for insight into the freedoms they experience and may take for granted.
My House Smells Like Grandma

My House Smells Like Grandma's Review
I absolutely loved this book and was entranced from the moment I started reading. Li's story is absolutely incredible and inspirational, this book truly represents "Beating the Odds."
Eric Tan

Awesome Book
Such an excellent book!!! Seems like an unbelievable story come true. Read it immediately!
Naomi

Maos Last Dancer ?
This book is absolutely amazing. You cannot put it down. I would say to myself just one more chapter and it would turn out to be 12 more chapters.
This is my favorite book of all time and I love it. I have read it so many times its very inspiring to me because I am a dancer myself.

Best book. You have to read it !! :))
Jeremy Wein

Mao's Last Dancer
I think that this book is motivational and inspiring. Even though i am only 10 years old, it was an extremely quick read. I simply could not put it down. i felt as if I was taken into Li Cunxin's world. I recommend this book for anyone who wants an amazing read.

• Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

The Sun Down Motel
    by Simone St. James

The chilling new novel from the national bestselling and award-winning author of The Broken Girls.

Remembrance
by Rita Woods

A breakout debut with modern resonance, perfect for fans of The Underground Railroad and Orphan Train.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I