Reader reviews and comments on Moloka'i, plus links to write your own review.

Moloka'i

by Alan Brennert

Moloka'i by Alan Brennert X
Moloka'i by Alan Brennert

Sep 2003, 384 pages
    Oct 2004, 384 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Moloka'i

When I first picked up this book I was a bit taken aback by the subject matter. Somehow a story about leprosy didn't quite appeal to me. However, once I started reading I was hooked. This is not just a story about a disease, but of a strong woman. I found myself relating to Rachel and her friends. It is an excellent read.
Alan Brennert

Mahalo and Mosquitoes
Mahalo to Teri for her very generous review of my novel Moloka'i. But as for the supposed "slip up" she brings up, well, I never claimed to be a kama'aina, and there probably are errors in the book I'm not aware of...but in regard to the mosquitoes I must respectfully point out that Susan Scott's "Plants and Animals of Hawai'i" states, "Mosquitoes are also troublemakers for both people and animals in Hawai'i. Researchers believe that the first mosquitoes arrived in 1826... By the 1830s, people described mosquitoes as numerous and annoying on O'ahu and Kaua'i... People brought several kind of minnows to Hawai'i in 1905 to help in mosquito control."

Another reference book says, "Mosquitoes were once unknown on the islands... Whatever their introduction, mosquitoes are kama'aina now, setting up nurseries in any stagnant water they can find..." There was just such stagnant water in the flats of Kalihi back in the 1890s, when Rachel took her swim, and my mention of them in Moloka'i was taken from a reference source about the hospital. (There was also an area of Iwilei called Mosquito Flats in the 1920s and 30s, which wouldn't have been so named if the bug was unknown in the islands.)

I admit, the little buggers are not a major problem in Hawai'i today, but I do maintain that my mention of them in Moloka'i is historically accurate.

Again, thanks to Teri for her otherwise glowing review. I'm glad those pesky mosquitoes didn't interfere with her enjoyment of the book!

• Book Jacket: Lanny
    Lanny
    by Max Porter
    At once beautifully poignant and hauntingly grotesque, Max Porter's Lanny is like an unexpected ...
    Call Me American
    by Abdi Nor Iftin
  • Book Jacket: The Last Collection
    The Last Collection
    by Jeanne Mackin
    What it's about:
    The Last Collection by Jeanne Mackin follows the lives of two internationally ...
  • Book Jacket: Mrs. Everything
    Mrs. Everything
    by Jennifer Weiner
    Mrs. Everything spans six decades of an American family. We meet the Kaufman sisters Josette 'Jo' ...

Beirut Hellfire Society
    by Rawi Hage

A searing and visionary novel set in 1970s Beirut that asks what it means to live through war.

Book Club
The Guest Book
by Sarah Blake

"An American epic in the truest sense…"
Entertainment Weekly

Win In the Full Light of the Sun

New from Clare Clark!

"Evocative prose and excellent pacing make this fine historical a must-read for art history buffs."
- Publishers Weekly