What readers think of In Pursuit of the Common Good, plus links to write your own review.

In Pursuit of the Common Good

Twenty-Five Years of Repairing the World, One Bottle of Salad Dressing at a Time

by Paul Newman, A. E. Hotchner

In Pursuit of the Common Good by Paul Newman, A. E. Hotchner X
In Pursuit of the Common Good by Paul Newman, A. E. Hotchner

Nov 2003, 272 pages

Sep 2008, 272 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for In Pursuit of the Common Good

Selene M

As Good as His Salad Dressing
I have always like Paul Newman as an actor. I find I now like him better as a man. His unlikely catapult into the food market is told in this funny, heartwarming and captivating book. The real payoff is his donation of all profits to charity. I particularly found the letters from his "Hole in the Wall" campers poignant and heart-tugging. As a cancer survivor, it makes my day.
Rozzychan

This book was a good read.

The story of the haphazard way that Newman and Hotchner got into the food business was interesting. It also shed some light on the pedestrian way that foods are manufactured in this country. (No wonder virtually every item on the shelf contains high-fructose corn syrup. Hey, it's cheap!)

But this is only half of the story. The real heart of the book is a discussion of the charities that are supported by the sales. There are heart wrenching stories of terminally ill children having the time of their lives at camp.

Sadly, the ideals shown by the book no longer seem to hold true.
There was an entire chapter about the fight to get real olive oil in the dressing, and the success they garnered when they stood firm. Well the other day I was in McDonalds and read the label on a Newman's own salad dressing, and guess what. The olive oil is gone, and now they use all of the cheap ingredients that the other folks use.

Well, it's still worth a read because it talks about the success of optimism and pigheadedness against industry standards and peer pressure. No matter how brief the success is.

-Rozzychan

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: Moth
    Moth
    by Melody Razak
    On August 15, 1947, India gained independence from the United Kingdom, and on that same day the ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Lonely People
    All the Lonely People
    by Mike Gayle
    Mike Gayle's charming novel All the Lonely People introduces us to Hubert Bird, an 82-year-old ...
  • Book Jacket: Perish
    Perish
    by LaToya Watkins
    It's a commonly cited fact that many perpetrators of sexual abuse, particularly men, are victims of ...
  • Book Jacket: Afterlives
    Afterlives
    by Abdulrazak Gurnah
    Afterlives, from Nobel Prize winner Abdulrazak Gurnah, begins in late 19th century East Africa in ...

The Ways We Hide
by Kristina McMorris

Members Recommend

The Family Izquierdo
    by Rubén Degollado

A masterful debut that weaves together the lives of three generations of a Mexican American family bound by love, and a curse.

Natural History
    by Andrea Barrett

I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.

Y Can't G H A