Reader reviews and comments on A Walk In The Woods, plus links to write your own review.

A Walk In The Woods

Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

by Bill Bryson

A Walk In The Woods

Jun 1998, 274 pages
    May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for A Walk In The Woods

Latha Venkatraman
I have never enjoyed a book as much as these. The books were like holding a movie in front of you. I found myself laughing reading Neither Here Nor There even in my worst moods.

Barbara Boyd
I absolutely loved it for two reasons. The first is the wonderful humor. I would read it on my train commute to and from work, and I would be laughing with tears in my eyes at some of his stories, especially bubba t. flubba in Wayne, Virginia. The second reason is more serious because I truly enjoyed the history that he told of the areas he hiked, plus the truth of how the natural areas in our country are at such a high risk from various causes. I would recommend this book to everyone. Mr. Bryson is a wonderful writer. I have now started reading "Neither Here Nor There" and have truly enjoyed the first two chapters.

Mary Richard
I have read all of Bill Bryson's books, but I thought that this must surely be one of the best!!

Nikki Summers
I bought this book recently even though I do not normally read travel literature. I loved it. It's laugh-out-loud funny - I couldn't put it down, and have since bought the rest of Bill Bryson's books, though this one remains my favourite. You live every moment of the trail with the author - all the highs and lows (I liked the lows the best!) I don't usually read travel writing as I find it dull - though I am sure it was all very interesting to the writer who was there at the time. But this book you feel you were really there. Highly recommended.

• Book Jacket: I Contain Multitudes
    My Name Is Leon
    by Kit De Waal

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

This Must Be the Place
by Maggie O'Farrell

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review