MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on A Walk In The Woods, plus links to write your own review.

A Walk In The Woods

Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

by Bill Bryson

A Walk In The Woods

Jun 1998, 274 pages
    May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 28 reader reviews for A Walk In The Woods

Latha Venkatraman
I have never enjoyed a book as much as these. The books were like holding a movie in front of you. I found myself laughing reading Neither Here Nor There even in my worst moods.

Barbara Boyd
I absolutely loved it for two reasons. The first is the wonderful humor. I would read it on my train commute to and from work, and I would be laughing with tears in my eyes at some of his stories, especially bubba t. flubba in Wayne, Virginia. The second reason is more serious because I truly enjoyed the history that he told of the areas he hiked, plus the truth of how the natural areas in our country are at such a high risk from various causes. I would recommend this book to everyone. Mr. Bryson is a wonderful writer. I have now started reading "Neither Here Nor There" and have truly enjoyed the first two chapters.

Mary Richard
I have read all of Bill Bryson's books, but I thought that this must surely be one of the best!!

Nikki Summers
I bought this book recently even though I do not normally read travel literature. I loved it. It's laugh-out-loud funny - I couldn't put it down, and have since bought the rest of Bill Bryson's books, though this one remains my favourite. You live every moment of the trail with the author - all the highs and lows (I liked the lows the best!) I don't usually read travel writing as I find it dull - though I am sure it was all very interesting to the writer who was there at the time. But this book you feel you were really there. Highly recommended.

• Book Jacket: City of Secrets
    City of Secrets
    by Stewart O'Nan
    In his new novel, City of Secrets, Stewart O'Nan spins a tale of espionage and intrigue as ...
  • Book Jacket: The Atomic Weight of Love
    The Atomic Weight of Love
    by Elizabeth Church
    A prologue set in 2011 introduces readers to this novel's unforgettable narrator. Meridian ...
  • Book Jacket: Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    Murder at the 42nd Street Library
    by Con Lehane
    It doesn't matter if you're stopping in your favorite library to quickly pick up a book, or settling...

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
    by Phaedra Patrick

In a poignant and sparkling debut, a lovable widower embarks on a life-changing adventure.

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.

Girl Waits with Gun