Reader reviews and comments on A Walk In The Woods, plus links to write your own review.

A Walk In The Woods

Jun 1998, 274 pages
    May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for A Walk In The Woods

Pete Githens
This book was, to borrow a phrase from the author, "exceedingly funny". Every page, paragraph, and sentence was entertaining. Not only is it a humorous account of Bill's trek along the Appalachian Trail, but was also very informative about many facets affecting the trail including politics, history, and nature. Very well done, Mr. Bryson.

Latha Venkatraman
I have never enjoyed a book as much as these. The books were like holding a movie in front of you. I found myself laughing reading Neither Here Nor There even in my worst moods.

Barbara Boyd
I absolutely loved it for two reasons. The first is the wonderful humor. I would read it on my train commute to and from work, and I would be laughing with tears in my eyes at some of his stories, especially bubba t. flubba in Wayne, Virginia. The second reason is more serious because I truly enjoyed the history that he told of the areas he hiked, plus the truth of how the natural areas in our country are at such a high risk from various causes. I would recommend this book to everyone. Mr. Bryson is a wonderful writer. I have now started reading "Neither Here Nor There" and have truly enjoyed the first two chapters.

Mary Richard
I have read all of Bill Bryson's books, but I thought that this must surely be one of the best!!

Nikki Summers
I bought this book recently even though I do not normally read travel literature. I loved it. It's laugh-out-loud funny - I couldn't put it down, and have since bought the rest of Bill Bryson's books, though this one remains my favourite. You live every moment of the trail with the author - all the highs and lows (I liked the lows the best!) I don't usually read travel writing as I find it dull - though I am sure it was all very interesting to the writer who was there at the time. But this book you feel you were really there. Highly recommended.

Dread Nation
    by Justina Ireland
    The war between the states is over and, instead, a very different battle is being waged for the ...
  • Book Jacket: Costalegre
    Costalegre
    by Courtney Maum
    The year is 1937 and Hitler is gaining stronger sway over Europe. Chief among the Führer's ...
    Lands of Lost Borders
    by Kate Harris
    Powered by imagination, grit, a bicycle, and the companionship of her best friend Mel, Kate Harris ...
  • Book Jacket: The History of Living Forever
    The History of Living Forever
    by Jake Wolff
    Conrad is a boy in love for the first time. His mother is dead; his father is a dying alcoholic. But...

Never Have I Ever

A diabolically entertaining tale of betrayal, deception, temptation, and love.

Ellie and the Harpmaker
    by Hazel Prior

A rich, heartwarming and charming debut novel about finding love in unexpected places.

Book Club
America for Beginners
by Leah Franqui

A poignant debut that explores unlikely friendships forged in unusual circumstances.

Book Club Giveaway!
Win Crudo

Crudo by Olivia Laing

A brilliant, funny, and emphatically raw novel of love on the brink of the apocalypse.

T C C H T Roost