What readers think of A Walk In The Woods, plus links to write your own review.

A Walk In The Woods

Jun 1998, 274 pages

May 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 29 reader reviews for A Walk In The Woods

katie

I thought it would have been better minus all of the factual stuff because that just sarted to get toooooooooooooooo long!
Maryann Pike

The Ugly American in the Southern Appalachians
I hated this book from the beginning. Bryson may be funny, but much of his so-called humor is at others, including the trail itself, expense.
He is kind to his fellow male hikers,but the women he meets beginning with a waitress at the lodge, at the beginning of the hike, are usually held up to ridicule. Bryson also continually pokes fun or even expresses fear of the citizens who live in the Southern Appalachians citing Dickey's nasty little tale "Deliverance" as a true depiction of these fine people.
I am not familiar with the southern part of the trail.bur very familiar with the Northern sections and have hiked much of that area. I am also familiar with the AMC maps and guides which also come in for Bryson' derision.
I sincerely hope that at least some of those who read this book will not see the AT and the people who live along it it through Bryson's eyes.
GREG

Terrible
Bryson relies on cheap jokes and commentary. He painfully tacks on heaps of useless historical information that distracts from the plot. It is unclear if even Bryson himself knows what type of book he is writing. Though he tries to pretend the book is non-fiction, his eerily accurate memories of events causes quite some skepticism. The book offers very little for the reader who is simply looking for some entertainment. Perhaps Bryson would have been off writing two books- one about his personal travel, and the other about the history of the trail. Regardless, this book is a must not read.
jordan

i hated it
phil

boring and long

Barb
Walk in the Woods was a perfect choice for our book club. Even though we are quite lazy non-hiking ladies, we all remarked that we actually laughed out loud while we were reading this book. Our club members also like to dress like book characters and serve refreshments based on the book, so it was fun to wear hiking boots and eat Snickers.

Kenny
This book has to be the worst book i have ever read. Funny NO there were about 2 funny parts in it the rest was boring. Don't read this if you have the choice. Thank you

Wilbur Rittenhouse
I had read the reviews, as well as the glowing blurbs on the back, so read the book with high expectations. The book was OK, but I was quite disappointed. I certainly did not find the "mix of Dave Barry and John Muir". Bryson does not begin to approach either. I did not find a middle-aged man who could not, would not, cook for himself entertaining. I am not sorry I read it, but I just do not see what everybody else is so excited about.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

The War Librarian
    by Addison Armstrong
    Emmaline Balakin believes in the power of the written word — books have changed her life. When...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!