Reader reviews and comments on Middlesex, plus links to write your own review.

Middlesex

by Jeffrey Eugenides

Middlesex

Sep 2002, 544 pages
    Sep 2003, 544 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for Middlesex

Miriam (11/29/09)

Just didn't like it
I am glad to read one person called Lucas calling this book mediocre. It is mediocre. I love reading and I didn't finish this book. I am an open minded person but sex between brother and sister is not in my list of acceptable behaviour.
BookBarbie (08/22/09)

Good to the last word!!!
Every january Our Martinis and Manuscripts, my book group, reads the Pulitzer-winning novel for the past year.

Over the years we have had some winners and a few big time losers. Then came 2003 and WOW! This book is worth every page...our highest rating is a 5 (Middlesex Equal) (this book is our touchstone for good reading) .

Why?

First,the writing is superb. Eugenides writes like an angel, at times his words are lyrical, his first book The Virgin Suicides was like reading a dream (the movie was awful). His writing makes one read every word no skipping around in this book.
Second, you will care about the characters. A reader will know their thoughts, their desires; their dreams and nightmares, there are times you will cry for Calliope/Cal, others times cheer. Third and last, you will just enjoy the read! There is history: the 1922 war between Greece and Turk; the growth of the city of Detroit's and its decline. There are gangsters and murders, and most of all there are love stories, love of self, love of friends, love of family, and love of survival.

The last sentence makes one weep...you just will be so sorry the book is over and so happy..well you have to read it. This book has everything, please give it a try, you will not be sorry.
kay (10/16/07)

What's all the praise for???
I could hardly wait to finish this novel, not because it was so good, but because it was sooooo long.The story got lost in its over 500 pages of narrative, internal pov, Cal's pov & everyone else's pov, confusing back-story, jumping around in time & pov. Historical part the best. Tried to cover too much. How did this win a prize???
Dorothy (09/19/07)

When is it going to end...
Overall, I loved the book. I did not mind "chapter 11". The thing that annoyed me the most was the drawn out, "every little detail" descriptions throughout the book. At the start of the book, I did not mind as it gave me a feel of Greece and the struggle but by the end I was screaming at the book, "when is it going to end".
Tess Peer (09/22/05)

Quickie
What is the symbolic function of the house?
Crystalee (07/04/05)

Unexpectingly Good
I had to read this book for a class, and I was very surprised that it turned out to be one of my favorite books of the semester. It's about a hermaphrodite, but it's about so much more. I would highly recommend it, even to people who are turned off by the subject.
DIRIYE OSMAN (03/01/05)

Jeffrey Euginides' sophomore effort is more than an effort. It is an electrifying, fantastical narrative that examines the lives of three generations of Orthodox Greek Americans, caught up in their quest to attain the ever elusive American Dream.
The protagonist, Calliope Stephanides is a beautiful, ordinary teenage girl who's also intensely intelligent, but discovers on her sixteenth birthday, that she's indeed a boy. Or rather, hemaphrodite.
Weaving in and out of wonderous day to day parables, Euginides creates a gentle, wry, full, rich comedy of both social errors, social misunderstandings and social injustices.
It is indeed, a marvel of a masterpiece.
davei (02/02/05)

I enjoyed Middlesex, but Cal's intersexual nature and his coming to grips with it are oddly the least convincing aspects of the book. The other generations of his family are so much more at the core of the story.
A reader below gave the reason for "Chapter Eleven"'s name, but what does that explain? It seems cruel and taunting to the character to reduce him to this small part of his story, as well as frustrating to readers who don't understand it until the final pages. I kept thinking, "Did I miss his real name?" Minor, but annoying. I wonder if anyone has ever asked Eugenides?

• Book Jacket: A Certain Age

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All