Reader reviews and comments on Lord John and The Private Matter, plus links to write your own review.

Lord John and The Private Matter

by Diana Gabaldon

Lord John and The Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon X
Lord John and The Private Matter by Diana Gabaldon

Sep 2003, 320 pages
    Oct 2004, 368 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Lord John and The Private Matter

Sharon Haas

As a big fan of Gabaldons Outland series I was prepared to like this book, that features a minor character from the the series, before I read it.
I wasn't disapointed!
The story is a great deal of fun on top of a great mystery with a liberal dose of unique historical trivia thrown in.
You will laugh out loud a couple of pages into the book when the meaning of the title hits you!
Cloggie Downunder

enjoyable piece of historical fiction.
Lord John and the Private Matter is the first novel in the Lord John Grey series by popular American author, Diana Gabaldon. As he waits for his next posting, Lord John Grey, a Major in His Majesty’s 47th Regiment, learns of the death of a Sergeant well known to him. Something is off when he pays the widow a condolence visit, and his friend, Colonel Harry Quarry reveals that Sergeant O’Connell was suspected of being a spy. The man they had shadowing him has disappeared and Grey is set the task of investigating.

At the same time, quite by chance, Grey comes across a disturbing fact about the Hon. Joseph Trevelyan, the prospective husband of his niece, Olivia Pearsall. As Grey makes enquiries to confirm or dismiss his concerns, he discovers more alarming details, and the boundaries between his two fields of investigation begin to blur.

Before Grey finally learns what has transpired, he will visit a brothel and a molly house, examine two dead bodies, acquire a new valet, suffer mercury poisoning, encounter cross-dressers, drink quite a bit of German wine, adjudicate in a fight over a corpse, and board a ship headed for India. There are plenty of twists and turns before the exciting climax of this rather enjoyable piece of historical fiction.
Catherine

Very disappointing
I have loved the Outlander series and was looking forward to the Lord John series. I have nearly finished the 2nd and I must say Ms. Gabaldon was either bored, misguided, or under pressure from her publisher for more material. I am not in any way homophobic, but I find the constant rhetoric of "love" in these tomes extremely tiresome. These two books are giveaways for me. Please give us more Claire and Jamie. That is was she is good at. The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", definitely applies here. Very irritating reads.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C