What readers think of Mountains Beyond Mountains, plus links to write your own review.

Mountains Beyond Mountains

Aug 2004, 336 pages

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Mountains Beyond Mountains

Nicolas

Enthraling
Whatever criticism you may have of Farmer, he has been proved correct by recent events. The story is AMAZING, and well-written. Heroes have a right to be self-absorbed.
Phil

Outstanding
I just read the other reviews. I'm stunned. What a terrific man Paul Farmer is. Tracy Kidder did a good job. The book asks us to think, not just follow a story.

"watching grass grow..." Good grief.

I think it probably could be a tad more concise about 2/3 the way through, but all in all it is compelling.

How can one read this and not see how myopic our view often is?

The key is now what do we do to make a difference.
obbe

Welcome to the real world
This wonderful book shows a compelling picture of someone making change in the world. Both Farmer & Kidder don't lose sight of the different levels in the book. Most superficially, this book is about a gifted, sometimes tortured individual following a personal goal. At a deeper level, Farmer & Kidder explore the different roles of individuals in creating change, the importance of respecting different cultures and the impact of national decisions on the international community.

This book will appeal to anyone with a interest in the larger world, different cultures and the lives of people working to make the world a more equitable place.
Ryan

Astounding book. Has the power to disturb even the most apathetic. People need to read this book and learn more about the power of one to change the world.
Joe

This book is outstanding. Tracy Kidder does a remarkable job of portraying Paul Farmer not as just some stereotyped "do good" doctor, but as a human with foibles and imperfections as well. The narrative background into Farmer's childhood and marriage is perhaps a bit brief, as this book attempts to cover a lot of territory. However, given the compassionate portrayal of the Haitians and the continuously absorbing narrative, any of the books imperfections just seem to fade away. Just as any of Paul Farmer's imperfections fade away in light of his great love for the poor of this world and his service to humanity.
Ron

An inspirational story that has the power to make you want to change your life. Tracy Kidder does an amazing job of telling this story, one that truly needed to be told. I can only hope this book finds it's way into the homes of millions and millions of people, for it is one of the most moving stories I have ever read.
Keri

Mountains Beyond Mountains
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder is an eye-opening book. You can find it on the “must read,” table at Barnes & Noble. This non-fiction book takes you through the journey of Dr. Paul Farmer’s life. Kidder travels with Farmer and gets to experience many of the great things that Farmer does first hand. Kidder also doesn’t just give the opinions of Farmer and himself, be he gathers information from many other important people in the journey. Farmer studied at Harvard Medical School then worked at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Despite the busy schedule he had in Massachusetts, he devoted a lot of his time to helping start up Partners In Health. Farmer opened a health care center in Haiti and treated everyone. Farmer had a rule that, “Every patient had to pay the eighty cents, except for women and children, the destitute, and anyone who was seriously ill…and no one could be turned away”. He was devoted to his patients, no matter how serious their illness was. Farmer spent a lot of his time trying to come up with a cure for Tuberculosis and Multiple Drug Resistant Tuberculosis. He traveled to many countries, and raised a lot of money. Farmer saved a lot of lives.

This book is true, and it really gave me an understanding of what life is like in a third world country. The only thing that I did not like about the book was how confusing the sentence structure was; I had to reread some sentences multiple times before I understood what it meant. I really liked this book and recommend it, especially to people who want a career that is health related.
RN Medical mission volunteer

Tracking the Messianic Healer
While Tracy Kidder does an admirable job of recounting the efforts of Paul Farmer, he also paints a vivid portrait of the messianic personality at work.

Farmer seems incapable of delegating work to others. When he does, he wallows in self-absorbed angst over whether they'll do it adequately in his absence. The good doctors's righteousness at putting "bandaids" on global medical problems permeates the book.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Code Breaker
    The Code Breaker
    by Walter Isaacson
    What makes humans human? It's a mystery that has inspired philosophers and driven scientific ...
  • Book Jacket: Genesis
    Genesis
    by Guido Tonelli
    Popular science books represent an important niche in non-fiction. They build a bridge between ...
  • Book Jacket: Buses Are a Comin'
    Buses Are a Comin'
    by Charles Person, Richard Rooker
    Charles Person was just 18 years old in 1961 when he became the youngest of the first wave of '...
  • Book Jacket: Firekeeper's Daughter
    Firekeeper's Daughter
    by Angeline Boulley
    Angeline Boulley's young adult novel Firekeeper's Daughter follows 18-year-old Daunis — ...

The Girl in His Shadow
by Audrey Blake
The story of one woman who believed in scientific medicine before the world believed in her.

Crossing the River
    by Carol Smith

A powerful exploration of grief that combines memoir, reportage, and lessons in how to heal.

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins

A S I T closet