Reader reviews and comments on The 6th Lamentation, plus links to write your own review.

The 6th Lamentation

Jun 2004, 400 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The 6th Lamentation

Mark Curtis

The 6th Lamentation
A thoroughly researched, well thought out, and intricately plotted work. The suspense held my attention to the very last page. All the loose ends (and there were many) were eventually all tied up. Also, it was fascinating to observe the intrinsic moral and social values of the main characters buckle or resist the tremendous pressures exerted by the Nazi conquest of Europe and the attending horrors of the Holocaust.

The only criticism I can make is a slight disappointment that the character known as "The Don" was somewhat developed and had a part in the death of Pascal Fougeres yet was completely and immediately dropped without any explanation. Pascal might just as well have died tripping over his shoelace on a sidewalk.

Other than that, a masterfully written book.
carcie

the sixth lamentation
Excellent first novel. Interesting and well constructed. Plot twist kept me reading, even on the second time around (for a book group discussion). Anxious for the second in the series!
Joan H

Please publish another soon.
I just loved this book. Hated finishing it. Is there another one coming soon? The moral dilemma was intriguing. And the writing beautiful. Mind you, I had to resort to my dictionary a few times! But that's good. Still learning in my seventies. Hope William Brodrick will still be writing in his. Enjoyed it much more than le Carre and a hundred times more that that awful one published recently about another mond.
J Gilsenan

The style of writing is intricate and very polished. Writing which touches very difficult issues with much grace and style. I highly recommend this book.
Karen T

The storytelling was enthralling and the writing very smooth and polished. There were enough plot twists and turns to justify classifying it in the mystery genre but it certainly shouldn't be shelved in the library or bookstore that way. Because it was so complicated and I was reading very quickly, often I was concerned that I was getting lost or losing important details that I would need to understand the resolution of the story at the end. I was moved to tears several times and I was awed by the depth of the story. One reviewer compared the author to LeCarre which is in a way a tribute but I personally hope that the author stretches himself in his next (or other) novels and doesn't choose to be a 'mystery' writer.
Karen O

This book was excellent. The story itself was gripping - dealing with Holocaust survivors and their younger relatives who cannot easily comprehend everything that happened, and how people changed. But it is the author's style that kept me glued to the book. By going into the minds of the younger generation as they think NOW, but using flashbacks to explain the older characters - the author penned a convincing portrait of how the world has changed, and how it hasn't. I highly recommend this book!
elisa

I'm 18 and absolutely loved the book! The book is well-written and credible, so much so that I was in tears by the end of the book and very, very few books are able to make me cry. It draws you into the realities of WW2 on a level that few books are able to reach. It explores the complexities of human nature and how different people can be and act away from judging eyes, and personally it's incredibly difficult to make those actions credible to the reader, especially if it's likely that the reader has already formed a personal opinion on the character, yet Brodrick is able to do that in such a way that you actually realise how complex human nature is and how evil has some good in it and how good has some evil in it. "The Sixth Lamentation" is a book that I would read again anyday.
Rob

The Sixth Lamentation
Enjoyable read but disagree with the earlier "not contrived" review. I became quite annoyed with the dangling of denouement, which was as overused as if it were a Dan Brown novel. The "bringing together of loose ends" was at the least contrived, the worst, dire.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

• Book Jacket: Nights When Nothing Happened
    Nights When Nothing Happened
    by Simon Han
    A quiet atmosphere of dread permeates Simon Han's subdued debut novel Nights When Nothing Happened. ...
  • Book Jacket: Take It Back
    Take It Back
    by Kia Abdullah
    In Kia Abdullah's novel Take It Back, sexual violence advisor Zara Kaleel becomes involved in a case...

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.

T T T Light F