Reader reviews and comments on The 6th Lamentation, plus links to write your own review.

by William Brodrick

Jul 2003, 400 pages
    Jun 2004, 400 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for The 6th Lamentation

Rob (03/06/12)

The Sixth Lamentation
Enjoyable read but disagree with the earlier "not contrived" review. I became quite annoyed with the dangling of denouement, which was as overused as if it were a Dan Brown novel. The "bringing together of loose ends" was at the least contrived, the worst, dire.
Mark Curtis (01/30/07)

The 6th Lamentation
A thoroughly researched, well thought out, and intricately plotted work. The suspense held my attention to the very last page. All the loose ends (and there were many) were eventually all tied up. Also, it was fascinating to observe the intrinsic moral and social values of the main characters buckle or resist the tremendous pressures exerted by the Nazi conquest of Europe and the attending horrors of the Holocaust.

The only criticism I can make is a slight disappointment that the character known as "The Don" was somewhat developed and had a part in the death of Pascal Fougeres yet was completely and immediately dropped without any explanation. Pascal might just as well have died tripping over his shoelace on a sidewalk.

Other than that, a masterfully written book.
carcie (07/18/06)

the sixth lamentation
Excellent first novel. Interesting and well constructed. Plot twist kept me reading, even on the second time around (for a book group discussion). Anxious for the second in the series!
Joan H (06/17/05)

Please publish another soon.
I just loved this book. Hated finishing it. Is there another one coming soon? The moral dilemma was intriguing. And the writing beautiful. Mind you, I had to resort to my dictionary a few times! But that's good. Still learning in my seventies. Hope William Brodrick will still be writing in his. Enjoyed it much more than le Carre and a hundred times more that that awful one published recently about another mond.
J Gilsenan (02/17/05)

The style of writing is intricate and very polished. Writing which touches very difficult issues with much grace and style. I highly recommend this book.
Karen T (08/27/04)

The storytelling was enthralling and the writing very smooth and polished. There were enough plot twists and turns to justify classifying it in the mystery genre but it certainly shouldn't be shelved in the library or bookstore that way. Because it was so complicated and I was reading very quickly, often I was concerned that I was getting lost or losing important details that I would need to understand the resolution of the story at the end. I was moved to tears several times and I was awed by the depth of the story. One reviewer compared the author to LeCarre which is in a way a tribute but I personally hope that the author stretches himself in his next (or other) novels and doesn't choose to be a 'mystery' writer.
Karen O (08/04/04)

This book was excellent. The story itself was gripping - dealing with Holocaust survivors and their younger relatives who cannot easily comprehend everything that happened, and how people changed. But it is the author's style that kept me glued to the book. By going into the minds of the younger generation as they think NOW, but using flashbacks to explain the older characters - the author penned a convincing portrait of how the world has changed, and how it hasn't. I highly recommend this book!
Karen (07/30/04)

This plot was indeed interesting, but maybe it was just above me. I had trouble staying interested. The story seemed not pulled together enought and there was too much that didn't add to the story at all. I loved the idea of the story when I started it, but I was disappointed by halfway through the book. I had to force myself to finish it, because I did want want to know how it all came together. I'm not really impressed by this writer's style - just his imagination.

• Book Jacket: A Gentleman in Moscow
    Night of the Animals
    by Bill Broun

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review