What readers think of She's Not There, plus links to write your own review.

She's Not There

Jul 2003, 320 pages

Aug 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for She's Not There

Fiona Clancy

I really enjoyed this book and how it with its positive energy it takes you through the painful experience of transexuality.

This is a book of hope. It is somebodies actual life being told. You are left feeling you know the author, that you are old friends. It left me feeling good about life. Jenny has had to do so much to get where she is and yet she still sees the world with a positive outlook.

Truely inspiring.
KRB

James/Jennifer begins telling the story in one role and finishes in quite another. He has amanged to walk the tight rope of maintaining her family and career while changing both his/her basic identity and physical ability.
It is truly an insiders view of the metamorphesis of changing genders. While the person living in the body may not change, the perception of that person changes with the physical changes;how a person reacts to that change of perception can only be told be somebodywho has lived it. While it has taken an enormous amount of courage to stand front and centre and tell this story, it may have required more to have maintained the status quo.
While he has gone no where, everyone who matters to her has had to adapt to an enormous change; that is what this story is really about.
CHARI

While over all the book was well written and highly interesting, I would have liked to have heard more from
her family. I was left with the feeling that the concerns of others and how they felt were not really of importance.
Realizing that the whole issue was about her, there were too many people affected by this change and I felt the author
didn't delve enough into those issues. Quit frankly I found it fairly superficial, I never felt the anguish that the whole
situation had to have created. I was left feeling that the most important issue was her relationship with Richard Russo and
that was more a "guess who I know."

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: Moth
    Moth
    by Melody Razak
    On August 15, 1947, India gained independence from the United Kingdom, and on that same day the ...
  • Book Jacket: All the Lonely People
    All the Lonely People
    by Mike Gayle
    Mike Gayle's charming novel All the Lonely People introduces us to Hubert Bird, an 82-year-old ...
  • Book Jacket: Perish
    Perish
    by LaToya Watkins
    It's a commonly cited fact that many perpetrators of sexual abuse, particularly men, are victims of ...
  • Book Jacket: Afterlives
    Afterlives
    by Abdulrazak Gurnah
    Afterlives, from Nobel Prize winner Abdulrazak Gurnah, begins in late 19th century East Africa in ...

The Ways We Hide
by Kristina McMorris

Members Recommend

Natural History
    by Andrea Barrett

The Family Izquierdo
    by Rubén Degollado

A masterful debut that weaves together the lives of three generations of a Mexican American family bound by love, and a curse.

Never read a book through merely because you have begun it

Y Can't G H A