Reader reviews and comments on A Short History of Nearly Everything, plus links to write your own review.

A Short History of Nearly Everything

Sep 2004, 560 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for A Short History of Nearly Everything

Megalodon

Science over easy
I love Bill Bryson's books. This one was a surprise. Most of his books are travel/memoir type, with astute observations and great humor.

This book though starts out with he admitting he knows little of science. I sure thought I did. But he goes for big numbers and the people who made the breakthroughs while making science delightfully accessible for everyone.
Macca

I wish had read this book before I did my science degree....it would have saved three years of my life. Bryson's book has reinvigorated my youthful curiosity for knowledge. 'It's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.'
Peter Kirby

A terrific read, Bryson cleverly blends science and wit.
Tara Winter

A interesting look at the scientific take on life
Steve Pearce

Bryson's sheer readability turns some of the most complex ideas imaginable into a wonderfully entertaining book, packed full of humour and fascinating detail. A quite incredible achievement, particularly when one considers he was travelling at 600 miles per hour while writing it!
Tony Taylor Retired Engineer

It fills in the education gap some of which I should have been taught at school!
Jack Beadle

I only read a short bit though at the moment it seems to be a very enjoyable book and i look forward to reading more.
Luke

Amazing

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Watch Over Me
    Watch Over Me
    by Nina LaCour
    In the vast, kaleidoscopic multiverse of plot devices, one type that always pulls me right in is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Cold Millions
    The Cold Millions
    by Jess Walter
    Jess Walter's The Cold Millions centers around 16-year-old Rye Dolan and his 23-year-old brother Gig...
    The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste
    While reading The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste, I was reminded of the David Foster Wallace novel ...
  • Book Jacket: The Exiles
    The Exiles
    by Christina Baker Kline
    A young governess finds herself pregnant and in prison for theft and attempted murder. An Irish ...

Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose & Fiona Davis (editors)

One City.
    One Movement.
    A World of Stories.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R