Reader reviews and comments on A Short History of Nearly Everything, plus links to write your own review.

A Short History of Nearly Everything

by Bill Bryson

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson X
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

May 2003, 560 pages
    Sep 2004, 560 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for A Short History of Nearly Everything

Simon Wood

I have been waiting all my post teen life for someone to produce a book like Bill's. It's great read. It is scientifically Educational to laymen like myself as well as offering vast historical insight of the founders (or should I say the occasional charlaten) of what we know and understand today about our planets and ourselves.
Our education systems should ensure that this book is prefered reading for all children between 11 - 16.
Well done Bill.

J Reilly

Exceptional book. A great read. Everything you always didn't really want to know about every facet of our physical world - but Bryson drills it into the reader in a pleasant, informative and enjoyable book. Unexpectedly funny. It reminds me of the Connections series (formerly on PBS, I think) with James Burke.
Michael

Although I have only read part 1 of the book, meaning I'm only 7% of the way in to it but already I can tell it will be a fantastic read. Space, natural history and evolution have always fascinated me and the author explains it all in a simple way. Only now can I appriciate how vast the immense vastness of space actually is. He is a brilliant writer and I'm sure that the rest of the book will continue in the fantastic way that it opened.

Michael Ritchie, age 16
S.I. MacDonald

I am suffering the most horrendous torment this semester: physics, calculus, and chemistry. As I poured through stale textbooks and cup after cup of coffee I often wondered, "Why am I doing this to myself???" Then I coaxed my Physics professor to allow me to write a book review on "A Short History of Nearly Everything". Bryson, you're saving me this semester, your book was a breath of fresh air. You roused my interest in every one of my previously painful courses. I once detested Newton, but now I enjoy him completely! My highest regards.
Josh

I bought this book as an audio file on iTunes. It is a thrilling. The way Bill Bryson uses comparisons to convey enormous distances and periods of time are enough to make you rethink existence.

I was a little skeptical about how interesting a book about "everything" would be. I found it fascinating and a fast read. Terminology was not overwhelming and anecdotal stories added spice to some of the dryer topics. I found the information thorough yet concise enough to keep my interest. I have recommended it to most of my reading friends.
smac

Brilliant. We need him to write a guide on success now.
lib

horrible
although this book may be very informative, it is the most boring thing that i have ever sat down and tried to read. This book is so long and very hard to get through. unless someone has nothing better to do i would not recomend it to anyone.

• Book Jacket: Butterfly Yellow
    Butterfly Yellow
    by Thanhha Lai, Daniel Suarez
    Voted 2019 Best Young Adult Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

As readers, many of us hope ...
  • Book Jacket: Olive, Again
    Olive, Again
    by Elizabeth Strout
    Voted 2019 Best Fiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

It's been a big year for literary ...
  • Book Jacket: Solitary
    Solitary
    by Albert Woodfox
    Voted 2019 Best Debut Author Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

According to statistics from ...
  • Book Jacket: Becoming
    Becoming
    by Michelle Obama
    Voted 2019 Best Nonfiction Award Winner by BookBrowse Subscribers

BookBrowse hosted a Book Club ...

Book Club
Evening in Paradise
by Lucia Berlin

"Berlin's new book is a marvel, filled with deeply touching stories about lives on the fringes."—NPR

The In-Betweens
    by Mira Ptacin

"A fascinating history of an American community of Spiritualists... a fabulous read."
    —Elizabeth Gilbert

Win Butterfly Yellow

BUTTERFLY YELLOW

Winner of the BookBrowse Award for Best Young Adult Novel, and the overall highest rated book of the year!

The Big Holiday Wordplay