Reader reviews and comments on Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

Life of Pi

by Yann Martel

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

May 2002, 336 pages
    May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 81 reader reviews for Life of Pi

SSSSUUUUNNNNGGGG (08/10/03)

Although the first part of this book was a dozer, after the second part things started to pick up very quick. After the boat sank, it was like a whirlpool of different emotions, actions, and informations about the main character pi. I liked many parts of the book where it shows what Pi actually did to survive in the ocean. How he killed fish, ate turtles, and collected rain for water. I could actually visualize what really happened in my mind as I read the book. Overall I give this book a 4 because it had a slow start. But finished off with an exciting ending.
kkppk5 (08/10/03)

this book was a book for my english class over the summer,
i had to read it because i had to.
i though it was going to be boring but it turned out to be fairly interesting book.

"Life of Pi" is a book about a boy who belleved in three religions, Hinduism, Islam, and Christianity. Their family operated a zoo in India until they decided to go to Canada.
On the way to Canada, the boat sinks and Pi survives by himself with only a hyena, a zebra with broken leg, an orangutan, and a tiger named Richard Parker. He gradually survives the journey.

"Life of Pi" is a confusing book because there are many ways to look at the book. In the book Pi gives two stories at the end, so it sounds very confusing. I didn't know which story was the real one. Later, I find myself believing that this story is a fiction. I believe this book is fiction because this story is logically not right.

I want to hear about what other people say to my opinion, so if you want to respond to my opinion.
All right I am done here. Bye
Therese (08/10/03)

Like some of the other people who posted reviews, I too only read this book for my AP English class. I thought that it was an alright book. I thought that Pi's religious beliefs were kind of interesting. The fact that he could only be content if allowed to practice 3 religions is different. It says a lot about his devotion to God. That's basically what i found the book to be about; Pi's faith and love for God. It was pretty amazing how he was able to survive at sea for over 200 days. His faith is what kept him going. Without it he would've surely died. The only thing I still kind of wonder about is which story is really true, the one with the animals or the one with people? I lean toward the story with people as being true. Although, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction, so who's to say the animal story isn't true?? In a way, I don't like the fact that it was left open ended like that. But overall i guess it was an ok book.
Mike SHS (08/10/03)

Life of Pi was a must read. It offered a deep and insightful look into both the mind and heart. Throughout the story Pi helped me realize that life and reality are your own decisions. Even though the story may seem a little weird at first, anyone reading it will eventually fall in love with the interesting characters and the intriguing plot developments. I only wish that I would be able to fully comprehend everything Yann was trying to say through Pi.
Veronica Meyer (08/10/03)

I have just read the Life of Pi for my AP English class. I must admit, I wasn't too excited about reading the 300 page novel over the summer. After a few chapters, however, I became instantly hooked. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel is a real page turner. Throughout the story one will be asking themself if Pi is going to survive his horrible journey. The best part about this book was the ending, which leaves the reader questioning whether the story with the animals was false all along. Was Pi's new story with humans the truth?
eduardo (08/09/03)

As I read the first couple pages of Life of Pi there was nothing interesting about it except when pi spoke about how he got his name. Though after that the rest of the book was magnificent. We recieve a first hand account about a boy who is stranded at sea and is forced to survive. He is tested by that and by his faith. Just how much of his beliefs would be affected by him pursuing to overcome this tribulation at sea. Hope, survival and religion all play critical roles in this book. This book makes us think in philosphical ways. It really wakes us up on what is real and what is not. For example if the algae island was real or was it just a symbol for pi that he needed to find land? How about when Pi told the two japanese doctors two different stories? With a few exceptions on parts I didn't understand, Overall this book is outstanding!!!
Chea Thao (08/08/03)

This book was a rather peculiar novel. I too read it for my AP English class during the summer. Although very detailed in everything that happened, a good story was told. But that was all it was to me. At first when I opened the book, I did not understand what events were happening in the story. It was confusing and thinking back on it, a few things did not make sense. Still, I read along and finished the book.

Overall, it was a good book and raised many questions about life itself. In life, people keep morals, but what happens when they are in a situation that will require them to cross that line? Was God really part of this novel at all? I must say that Pi’s journey was a tough one, even if it meant spending it with a tiger, but he survived through quite an ordeal.

What is your opinion about this story being believable or not?

JBYi (08/07/03)

Life of Pi was a great book that really got me thinking at the end. In the end, Pi told two different stories about his experience at sea... which story do you think is better, the one with animals or the one without animals? Personally i thought that the story with the animals was better. It was a lot more entertaining than the other "dry, yeastless factuality" story.

One thing I didn't understand from the novel was why the story would make a person believe in God. Could someone expain that to me please? Other than that, Life of Pi was an awesome book and I would recommend it to anyone.

Discover your next great read here

Ghachar Ghochar
    by Vivek Shanbhag
    The Bengaluru (aka Bangalore) that has dominated economic news headlines over the past decade is the...
  • Book Jacket: Caught in the Revolution

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some to be chewed on and digested.

O My D B