Reader reviews and comments on Life of Pi, plus links to write your own review.

by Yann Martel

May 2002, 336 pages
    May 2003, 336 pages

There are currently 80 reader reviews for Life of Pi

Ashley (06/16/07)

Inspiring!!!
I just finished the book no more than 20 minutes ago so I wanted to hear other rewiews. I love this book, my mind was always on it and I could not put it down. I love how Pi lives his life, it was so inspiring to me. I also love the twist at the ending, I wasn't expecting it. I too, like the animal story better!!
Bryan (01/10/07)

Excellent Life
Life of Pi was an incredible, thought provoking and wonderful book. The twist at the end was remarkable and completely changes the perspective the reader has of the book. Upon a second reading, the journey could be a complete different one after learning the twist. Excellent book.
AshNicole (12/13/05)

Life of Pi
I think this book is absolutely amazing! The way Piscine Molitor Patel teaches you to believe in yourslef as well as God to survive struck me. It taught me not to fear and that everything would be alright!! I would recommend this book to ANYONE without a doubt!
Amber D (02/17/05)

Davina - BookBrowse

WARNING!

In general we aim to remove plot spoilers from visitor's reviews, but in the case of Life of Pi this is proving impossible to do without deleting most of the reviews in their entirety. Therefore, if you have not yet read this book, I suggest you do not read these reviews. However, if you have read the book and are looking to share your opinions and read other people's views please read on!
Kt (02/17/05)

I am only 12, yet I loved this book! It is full of fact combined with with fiction which makes it an interesting novel. Everyone I know has really enjoyed it! Don't be put off by the slow introduction, it really gets going into a powerful and emotional fest! I would definitly reccomend it and if you don't like it, re-consider, read it again, one way or another you will enjoy it!
ug8 (01/26/05)

i am 16. i would like to contradict anyone who appears to think Life of Pi is a simple children's story. While on the surface the book may seem to be as such, the book is actually a much deeper book with tonnes of metaphors, symbolism and philosophy. A more mature reader would be able to understand the hidden layers of meaning in the story and truly enjoy the story as a whole.
Anonymous (12/27/04)

I found Life of Pi to be a thoughtful and humourous novel, but it just didn't strike me as being particularly interesting or exciting, elements I usually find worthy in a good read. However, I liked the way it explored the meaning of life, survival and faith in religion, but overall, it is not something I would recommend.
Troy (12/18/04)

A beautifully written book that certainly succeeds as the book "with a never ending story" so desired by Pi during his ordeal; one he "could read again and again, with new eyes and a fresh understanding each time". As a spiritual being, I view this novel as food for the soul. It vividly describes the human condition as physical beings and more importantly as spiritual beings.
Obviously, I am a believer. This story, however, delivers insights to the atheist and the agnostic just as powerfully as it gives nourishment to those who believe in God. I have read many of the reviews here and find points of agreement with most of them though I have little patience with those who so obviously missed the manifold pearls of wisdom so wonderfully strewn throughout this tale.
Yann Martel displays his true genius as a writer by constructing this epic in such a way that both stories are equally credible. Some of the reviews favor one story over the other while a select few recognize that both stories are true. Two seperate realities coexist throughout this book though the physical reality is not openly revealed until part three. I feel this is the Great truth Martel seeks to convey, namely the way we give rationality to our existence through the seemingly irrational. This is truly a story from which you may take whatever you desire.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

A book is one of the most patient of all man's inventions.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: