What readers think of The Nanny Diaries, plus links to write your own review.

The Nanny Diaries

by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus X
The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus

Feb 2002, 352 pages
    Mar 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 32 reader reviews for The Nanny Diaries

Jilli

I read just the first few pages in the bookstore and I was laughing out loud! I'm only on page 35 and I'm tempted to call into work just so I can read my book! A Fabulous Find!
former nanny

Kudos, Emma and Nicola! Thank you for revealing the truth behind the icy doors of childcare for the ridiculously wealthy. Reading your book was a mirror of my experiences as a nanny for the rich and famous on the "west coast"... I could not put it down. I hope that every Mrs. X reads this book and takes a good LONG look at herself, maybe it will change the way they treat their help, and more importantly their children... our Grovers.
Laura719

Bought this book after seeing several people on the LIRR and subway reading it.

Well.... I could NOT put it down. I commute to the Manhattan and finished the book in 3 days.

Found myself laughing out loud on the train, and many times I wanted to rip Mrs. "X"s head off. "Nan" did everything for this woman and the woman just whined, whined, and whined more. Poor kids....spoiled to death but ignored by their own parents.

GREAT book to say the least Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Kraus!!
susanne

i picked this book up while riding the train everyday to work. by the end of the ride i would always want a few min. more just to see what was going to happen next. i would find myself laughing out loud on the train because everything thing that the book said was what i personally hated about babysitting.
E.M.

Okay...
This book was really good. It could do without the slightly inappropriate parts, though. The language, alcohol and drug references were also disappointing. I would give it a 3 out of 5.
splodge

This book is so true to the daily life and troubles a nanny goes through. Having been a nanny i can relate to it all. After reading this book i though i was so lucky to be with my past family but beleive me they all show their colours after a period of time.

A great read anyhow and i recommend it to any nanny just to put the job in to the right league.
anonymous nanny

I think this book is pretty good. I can't relate to a lot of it, because my jobs haven't been like that. I think the authors kind of rely on stock portrayals of the characters and we really don't get a 3D view of them. Real people are not all bad or good as the characters in this book seem to suggest. What I am most impressed with is how vivid the imagery is. We stare into the box of earmuffs. We feel Grayer's tears on OUR shoulders. And we know exactly what Mrs. X looks like and how she moves. The sarcasm and name dropping of designers helps the authors NAIL the imagery. What I am still amazed by, though, is how anyone can call this book FUNNY or light summer reading. I thought it was very very sad. That was a misconception I had too, after reading the first chapter, the audition. I was ROFL...but as the story moved along, things got more and more creepy and the only relief you get is Nan's relationship with HH and her internal brassy conversations in reaction to what is going on around her. We see that deep down, Nan does indeed have a backbone and we beg her to use it.
Sara

This book was a good read, but left me depressed and disheartened. I could hardly put it down wishing for a happy ending with every page turn.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: First Person Singular
    First Person Singular
    by Haruki Murakami
    Readers familiar with Haruki Murakami will know that music is often a central theme in his work. The...
  • Book Jacket: Yolk
    Yolk
    by Mary Choi
    Mary H.K. Choi's young adult offering Yolk deftly maintains several plotlines running through the ...
  • Book Jacket: The Blizzard Party
    The Blizzard Party
    by Jack Livings
    It is 1978 and the place is New York City. A massive bacchanalian party is taking place at an Upper ...
  • Book Jacket: The Light of Days
    The Light of Days
    by Judy Batalion
    Renia, Sarah, Zivia, Frumka, Hantze, Tosia, Vladka, Chajka, Gusta, Hela, Bela, Lonka, Tema, Chasia, ...

Of Women and Salt
    by Gabriela Garcia

A kaleidoscopic portrait of generations of women from a 19th-century Cuban cigar factory to the present day.

The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman
    by Julietta Henderson

A charming, uplifting debut about a mother and her 12-year-old son, an aspiring comedian.

Miss Austen
by Gill Hornby
A witty, poignant novel about Cassandra Austen and her famous sister, Jane.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading, you wish the author that wrote it was a ...

P M Fly